Tomato, Cucumber, Onion Salad

Home Forums General Discussions Tomato, Cucumber, Onion Salad

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

My grandmother used to make a sliced salad of tomatoes, cucumbers, and white onion. These were layered, and then allowed to marinate in an oil-cider vinegar dressing that also probably included salt. I'm not sure about sugar. She did this without a recipe, and I was too young at the time to notice proportions.

I've been searching the internet to try and figure out what should be in the dressing. In the process, my computer screen got locked by one of those "pretending to be Microsoft" scams that try to get you to click on their site or call their "help" number. I was finally able to use task manager to get out of it. I'm not sure I will ever go back to Genius Kitchen again, as it happened there once before.

Ok, I digressed.

The only salad I found that comes close uses 1/4 Cup olive oil (I'm pretty sure my grandmother used a standard vegetable oil), 3/4 Cup cider vinegar. It also uses 1/2 Tbs. red wine vinegar (not something my grandmother would have used, dii weed (definitely not!), 1 tsp sugar, and about 1/4 each of salt and pepper.

Before I strike out on my own, is anyone familiar with such a salad? It's probably a southern dish.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by BakerAunt.
      • This topic was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by BakerAunt.
      BevM
      Participant

Bakeraunt, my mother used to make the same salad while I was growing up (in Alabama). I also didn't pay attention to amounts or ingredients! However, I don't recall having oil in the dressing. She most likely used apple cider vinegar, probably added a little salt and nothing else. My Dad wanted his food simple and not fancy which is how she cooked. She rarely used recipes except for baked goods. If you find a good combination, I would be interested.

RiversideLen
        Participant

Whenever I've made that kind of salad, I just used a vinaigrette dressing. My way is to dissolve a little sugar in the vinegar, then mix it with equal amount of olive oil. I don't use salt but do use a little fresh ground pepper and maybe a pinch of oregano or fresh basil. Not from a recipe, it's just the way I do it.

That's interesting about Genius Kitchen, Baker Aunt, I go there all the time. Have you run scans on your computer?

BakerAunt
          Participant

Bev--Now that you mention it, my grandmother may have just used cider vinegar and salt. Salt certainly brings out the sweetness of tomatoes. I'll mull this over. I picked up a lovely large heirloom tomato, a long thin cucumber, and a white onion at the farmers' market today, so I'm on the verge of experiment!

Len--I ran the Microsoft Defender scan, which said no problem, even as the problem persisted! MS was no help, and I stumbled upon the task bar fix on my own. (I was able to use Chrome with no problem.) Maybe I need to go back to Norton Anti-Virus, but it does not seem compatible with the Edge Defender--based on the computer mess I had back in February, in which I had to allow MS to strip off all my programs in order to get the computer out of a continuously spinning loop after MS downloaded some updates. In fact, that happened twice. (It's very irritating to have to put the sound driver back on the computer, among other things.) Supposedly the update assistant I added after the second time will cause that not to happen again, but I get nervous now every time MS puts on updates.

It hasn't always happened at Genius Kitchen, but it has happened there twice.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by BakerAunt.
            chocomouse
            Participant

I make this type of salad frequently during the summer when all the ingredients are ripe in my garden. I use a Greek style dressing of olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and oregano. Sometimes I sub cider vinegar or red wine vinegar, and I might add a touch of sugar. Sometimes I just grab a bottle of store Greek dressing. Sorry I can't give you any measurements, I do it by taste.

S_Wirth
              Participant

In our area, it is always equal parts of apple cider vinegar and sugar over the tomatoes, cucumbers and onions. I sometimes add diced bell peppers, as well. This recipe is in many old, old community cookbooks, many with recipes over 100 years old. That is the same proportions of vinegar/sugar we use for slaw.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Thanks, S. Wirth! Would the liquid and the dry measure be the same--say 2 Tbs. sugar and 2 Tbs. cider vinegar?

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

That's a staple in the summertime on our tables too!When I make it I don't measure but a little oil,white vinegar,salt & pepper and a little sugar with cukes,onions and tomatoes and bell pepper if I have them.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by Joan Simpson.
                    S_Wirth
                    Participant

Yes. I usually use 1/2 cup of each.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.