Thanks 2 BakerAunt

Home Forums General Discussions Thanks 2 BakerAunt

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Italiancook
    Participant

BakerAunt, several weeks ago, you posted a link for people who have kidney disease. It included a recipe for making non-phosphorous baking powder. One of the 2 ingredients is cream of tartar. It has taken me all these weeks to buy cream of tartar. My husband found it in a store today. Really small jar. In order to mix this concoction in a large enough quantity to be time-saving will take a few of these jars of cream of tartar. But I'll prevail making a one-serving portion for pancakes. If it works for them, I'll be willing to try it on baked goods. I'll post here on my experiment with it.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by Italiancook.
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Check health food stores or places that sell spices in bulk, they usually have cream of tartar (aka tartaric acid) in bulk. Should be less than a dollar per ounce.

Bulkfoods.com has it in 1 pound packages for $8 or 5 pound packages for $25 (plus shipping), but those tiny containers are around $50 a pound!

Italiancook
        Participant

Thanks, Mike, for checking on this. If the pancake experiment works out, I'll order it from bulkfoods.com. As you pointed out, buying those little jars in quantity would be quite expensive. I appreciate your effort!

Italiancook
          Participant

This morning I made cinnamon pancakes substituting cream of tartar and baking soda for baking powder. I felt like a chemist measuring out the substitutions! Yes, the tartar/soda combo work good as a leavening. Even the last batch of pancakes rose satisfactorily. Normally, I make one skillet of pancakes & put the remainder of the batter into the refrig for another day. I don't think I could do this with tartar/soda. The batter developed bubbles while I was waiting for pancakes to cook. I think that if I refrigerated the batter, the soda would have lost it's potency overnight. I didn't want to experiment to find out for fear of losing the batter. It's just a guess.

Now that I know this works, I'm going to order cream of tartar in bulk. Thanks, again,, for the online tip, Mike.

Italiancook
            Participant

Thanks, Mike, for suggesting bulkfoods.com for the cream of tartar. I bought a pound from them. That should last me a long time, since the cream of tartar is mixed with baking soda to replicate baking powder. Bulkfoods.com offers an array of shipping options. I chose the least expensive and it still arrived fast -- or in a reasonable amount of time to me. Others may have a different concept of "fast."

wonky
              Participant

Did you know that cream of tartar is a by-product of wine making. After the wine making process, it is scraped off the sides of the wine barrels, cleaned and ground. Arn't you glad you asked?

Italiancook
                Participant

Well, drat! If it wasn't "cleaned," I could tell people their baked goods have a secret ingredient -- wine. Thanks, Wonky, that's an interesting tidbit.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.