Ten Breads of the World

Home Forums General Discussions Ten Breads of the World

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

Very interesting!

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I'm still looking for an AUTHENTIC recipe for German/Russian black bread, one that doesn't cheat by using coffee or cocoa to darken the interior. I think the way it is done is that the bread is baked for a very long time, like 18 hours, at a low temperature. Not sure I want to crank my oven up for that long very often, but I'd at least like to try doing it once.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Mike--Stanley Ginsberg's The Rye Baker has a recipe for Westphalian Pumpernickel (336-337) Total start to finish time is 36-40 hours. It uses coarse rye meal and salt. It bakes at 300 for 40 minutes, then at 220F for 24 hours.

Maybe you could borrow the book from the library? He says that recipes for it abound, but by German law, it must consist of rye, water, and salt--nothing else.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Yeah, a Westphalian rye sounds like it might be the right sort of recipe. I wonder what it uses for leavening? I assume it must be using some kind of rye starter.

BakerAunt
              Participant

He uses coarse rye meal and boiling water to make a "scald." It stands at room temperature for 16-18 hours, then the salt and the rest of the coarse rye meal are added.

Now if we can just find a place that has coarse rye meal in stock.... I need it to make a rye crispbread.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by BakerAunt.
                Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

Well, if I buy some rye berries, I can make a pretty coarse rye meal with my grain mill.

But here's another possibility: rye meal

BakerAunt
                  Participant

Thanks, Mike. I shall take the plunge.

Also, New York Bakers has a wonderful blog. I lost track of time reading some of the posts.

I have some rye chops that I bought to bake the canapé breads from KAF (something that I have yet to do). I will need to find an additional recipes to use those up. I think that they are equivalent to cracked rye?

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by BakerAunt.
                    Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

They're similar to cracked wheat, possibly a bit larger I usually soak them first, I don't always do that with cracked wheat.

skeptic7
                      Participant

Mike;
                        I am looking at Winter 2000 Baking Sheet, and there is a recipe for Black Bread by Jeffrey Hamelman and accompanying story. This recipe uses old bread toasted until very nearly black and then soaked into a slurry with coffee and oil, in the bread. This gives it part of its color. Have you seen this technique? I think its mentioned elsewhere on the web. In your post above you said you didn't want to use coffee but the nearly burnt bread would help with the color.

Addendum: I found the recipe on the King Arthur site, through not alas the accompanying story
                        https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/jeffrey-hamelmans-black-bread-recipe

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by skeptic7.
                        Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

I don't think I've seen that technique before.

skeptic7
                          Participant

Mike I've added a link to the Black Bread recipe on KA page

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

It's still something of a 'cheat' because it's using a dark substance (or in this case, two of them) to color the bread rather than baking it until it naturally turns darker.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

I've checked Ginsberg's book, and he does not use coffee. He does have some recipes that call for stale rye bread.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

Stale rye bread is often used when making rye bread, I've tried it a few times, I'm not sure exactly what it accomplishes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.