Stuffing bread — cornmeal whole wheat yeasted bread

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls Stuffing bread — cornmeal whole wheat yeasted bread

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    skeptic7
    Participant

Every year I try a variation of KA stuffing bread. This year the variations differed so much from that recipe that I am willing to claim the last one as my own. I wanted your advice on how I can improve it.
      A) Version 1 was taken from a Portuguese Broa recipe. 1 1/4 cup cornmeal, 1 cup water, 2 cups whole wheat flour, 1 tsp yeast, 2 tablespoons oil and 1 tsp each of sage, rosemary and thyme. This was very heavy and strong tasting. I did this two weeks ago.
      B) Version 2 was based on my whole wheat focaccio Baked on Veterans' day.
      3 cups whole wheat flour
      1 cup cornmeal
      2 tablespoons potato flour
      1 teaspoon salt
      1/2 cup buttermilk
      3/4 cup water separated
      1 teaspoon yeast
      2 eggs
      1/4 cup oil.
      1/2 tsp each of dried rosemary, sage and thyme

1) Dissolve the yeast in 1/2 cup water and then add enough flour to make a soft dough. Let this sit until it shows unmistakable signs of yeast growth, at least half an hour. If you have time let it sit longer.
      2) Place the cornmeal in a small bowl. Heat 1/4 cup water until boiling. Pour onto the cornmeal. Blend in the buttermilk. Let sit for awhile. The hope is that the cornmeal will absorb the liquid and become softer and lighter.
      3) Beat the two eggs. Mix the remaining whole wheat flour, the potato flour and the salt together. Mix the eggs and the sponge created in step 1 together. Mix in enough flour to create a firm dough. Let sit for 10 minutes or so so the moisture can be absorbed. The hope is that this will let some gluten develop before the rough cornmeal mixture is added in. Knead the dough throughly.
      4) Mix the dough and the cornmeal mixture together thoroughly. The cornmeal mixture is going to be very wet. Mix in all the remaining flour mixture. Add some water if necessary. Dough will be a little dry. Let the dough sit for awhile 10-30 minutes or longer.
      5) Knead the dough thoroughly. Knead in the oil one tablespoon at a time. Flatten the dough, sprinkle on the herbs, then roll the dough up and knead it until the herbs are thoroughly incorporated.
      6) Form the dough into a reasonable shape and let rise. I formed this into a boule, placed it on a 9 inch round pan and let it rise. I then baked it a 350 degree oven, in a cloche until done, probably 45 minutes and 180 degrees.

So this tasted much better and had a reasonable texture. I gave some away and ate some fresh and finished off the rest with a pot of chili. It wasn't bad with cream cheese but the texture was too fragile to spread with cold butter. One friend thought it lacked something.

C) The third version of the bread was much like 2) above. Except I heated the buttermilk and water together before putting in the cornmeal in the hopes a more cooked cornmeal mixture would be softer. The buttermilk separated into white curds and liquid. I also mixed 1 cup of diced Vermont Cheddar cheese into the bread at the end. I baked this as a large loaf. This was better with cheese than without but not earth shattering. I baked this last Friday. It was baked in a 350 degree oven for about 50 minutes until 180 degrees.

What can I do to improve this recipe? I was thinking of a tablespoon or two of dried onion flakes? I was also wondering about a bit of black pepper? Would be bread be moister if I used no eggs and more buttermilk? I think the eggs gave it necessary lift but also made it drier.
      I like to make stuffing bread near Thanksgiving and it should evoke either Turkey stuffing or turkey sandwiches.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

Skeptic--buttermilk will separate if heated to a high temperature. You might want to warm it only. However, the separation won't hurt it if it is stirred into the cornmeal-water mixture.

What kind of cornmeal are you using--i.e., what grind? I have made KAF's Asiago bread, which uses polenta. For that recipe, the polenta is cooked first in milk and butter, then allowed to cool to room temperature. (I put it on a plate to cool.) For cornbread, I've found that the fine or medium grinds (Bob's Red Mill) work well. The coarse grind made a flat, denser cornbread, which we did not like. Sometimes I mix the medium and the fine.

For spices, you might want to add some dried parsley. Pepper is good as well. Your idea of dried onion also evokes stuffing for me. Perhaps reduce the egg to just one, and maybe increase the yeast by 1/4 tsp.? Too much egg might make the bread more fragile.

skeptic7
        Participant

I used Indian Head Old Fashioned Stone Ground White Cornmeal. I think this is a medium grind as its courser than corn flour, and more fine than polenta.

This makes very nice baking powder type cornbread both Southern and Northern styles.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.