Stock ‘hoarding’

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) Stock ‘hoarding’

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

A friend (who also happens to be our Tupperware dealer) sent me this link to a story on the Chicago Tribune Website. How many of us see ourselves?

Stock Story

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

Well, I'm maybe not that obsessed, as I usually only make chicken or turkey stock, using the remains of turkey or chicken. However, when we moved, I did have to gift two large yogurt containers of it to my stepson. He reported recently that it made an excellent soup in his crock pot.

Besides, if there is a power failure, all those containers of frozen stock will help keep the freezer cold until the electricity comes back on. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I've got beef stock, chicken stock, brown chicken stock (the bones are roasted first), turkey stock, duck stock, goose stock, veal stock and demi-glace all in the freezer, plus beef shank bones, beef neck bones, beef knuckle bones and veal shank bones for mid-winter stock making. (Nothing heats up the house better when it gets cold and snowy than simmering stock overnight.) Might be a ham bone or two, too.

Most of the stocks are in relatively small containers, a cup or less, so that I can add them to recipes. (Ikea makes some very good containers for this.) But I do have a few 3-4 quart containers of beef and chicken stock, so that I can make soup, which I usually make in 8-10 quart increments.

I've also got frozen soups: Vegetable Beef, French Onion Soup and Chili. There might still be some ham and bean soup left, too, but I think we ate up the last of the chicken noodle soup. (Found out the hard way that chicken and dumpling soup doesn't freeze well, the dumplings just fall apart.)

Tupperware makes an 8 1/2 cup round container that I wish they sold separately, that's just about the perfect size for soup for two for a meal plus a little left over for lunch the next day.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Hmm, Mike. It sounds like your freezer is well-stocked.

luvpyrpom
            Participant

I'm a terrible hoarder of stocks, too. I have chicken, beef, pork, and mushroom stocks. I also have different pestos and lemon juices and lemon oil frozen in small containers. I just have to remember to use them when I cook.

skeptic7
              Participant

I often have a quart of chicken stock and maybe a cup of drippings from the roast chicken. I don't count it as hoarding as I do use it up.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.