Start the Kids Early with Appreciating Food

Home Forums General Discussions Start the Kids Early with Appreciating Food

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I thought that this comic strip says it nicely:

https://www.gocomics.com/arloandjanis/2019/01/30

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I've always thought putting parsley on a plate was stupid, and the judges on Chopped (all great chefs) seem to agree.

Anyway, Arthur Hailey said it best in one of his early books, Hotel, when he had the sous chef say: There's too much parsley on the plate and not enough in the soup.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Well, maybe parsley isn't the best example....

I still remember becoming fascinated making "candlestick salads," which consisted of an iceberg lettuce leaf, a pineapple ring, a half banana placed in the ring, a bit of mayonnaise to simulate wax, and a maraschino cherry on top. I thought that I was quite the little chef.

chocomouse
          Participant

OMG! I remember making those salads for Thanksgiving dinner every year, the only time we had them! Making those was quite a step up from putting the silverware and linen napkins on the table! My mother hated to cook and was not a good cook - those two traits are probably highly correlated! We all still laugh about some of the things we ate. Surprisingly, in spite of that, we all (6 siblings) are excellent cooks who really enjoy cooking. Every chef-authored book that I ever read with my career exploration students in high school emphasized the positive relationship and role model of an older, usually female, family member who loved to cook. Such memories!

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

My mother wasn't a fancy cook, but in a half hour she could whip up dinner for her and my 5 siblings that tasted good. She slung hash in a small town restaurant for a few years, so she was efficient.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.