Split: Mice (from Cinderella Pumpkin thread)

Home Forums General Discussions Split: Mice (from Cinderella Pumpkin thread)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

🙂

Thanks, Aaaron, but there are plenty of mice around here--not to mention chipmunks, rabbits, and deer--oh, my! And that does not include the two kinds of squirrels, the foxes, or any of the birds on the lake.

I ended up with 27.2 oz. of pumpkin puree. (I measure pumpkin by weight with new recipes, since most are written for that squashy stuff that Libby's sells, which is not really pumpkin.) 15 oz. will be used in a pumpkin yeast bread, 7.5 oz. will be used in a pumpkin snack cake, and the remaining 4.7 oz. (scant 1/3 cup) will probably be used for pumpkin scones or muffins.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I'd happily send you some of my mice too, I've got multiple traps set up in the garage to catch them as they try to get out of the cold. These are sneaky mice, they've figured out how to lick the peanut butter off the trigger without setting it off, I wind up rebaiting all 4 traps nearly every day, whether I've caught a mouse overnight or not.

RiversideLen
        Participant

Mike, we were talking about this subject on another site, one woman said to bait it with chocolate syrup because the mouse cannot carry it off. She sounded like she has a lot of experience with it.

BakerAunt, the last time I roasted a pumpkin, I roasted it cut side up. You get some browning on the top, caramelization, (is that a word?) and more moisture will bake off.

aaronatthedoublef
          Participant

I am using some bait called Tomcat and the mice seem attracted to it. I've used a combination of glue boards, snap traps, and live traps all of which have worked to varying degrees. My mice do not like peanut butter anymore. They did like granola.

A friend suggested some kind of bait that the mice carry back to the nest and then they try to get outside to water. I may try that next. But that friend is using a bucket of water and a plank baited with food to catch chipmunks.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

When we had our annual mouse invasion last fall, I baited several traps with some warm tempered chocolate, it did a great job catching mice.

Rascals1
              Participant

Tomcat works well so does peppermint essential oil on tissue or cotton ball,

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

The problem with mouse and rat poisons is that you do not know where the dead bodies will be, perhaps inside your walls?

Rascals1
                  Participant

That's why I included the essential oil one it juts keeps them away.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

There is no scientific evidence I can find that essential oils keep mice away. Many of the websites that recommend it, surprise, surprise, sell essential oils!

Rascals1
                      Participant

I don't know about scientific proof but it's all I've used for 3 years now and I haven't had the first sign of a mouse.

S_Wirth
                        Participant

Here are many hits on peppermint oil used to repel mice:

https://www.bing.com/search?q=peppermint+oil+repels+mice&form=PRDLCS&pc=MDDCJS&mkt=en-us&httpsmsn=1&refig=dff17d1e266b44bdbd7d645d3a909739&sp=-1&ghc=1&pq=peppermint+oil+repels+mice&sc=1-26&qs=n&sk=&cvid=dff17d1e266b44bdbd7d645d3a909739

I have used it for years and years under the liner under our truck hood where mice love to destroy the insulation. I read that tip in a book and online. I used cotton balls and poured the peppermint oil over them in a little disposable cup and tucked them under the hood liner. Keeps mice at bay very well. Each fall I use new ones under the liner.

I got my perrpermint oil from http://www.lorannoils.com

BakerAunt
                          Participant

In order to keep mice out of the boat while it is stored over the winter in the shed, we have been advised to use Bounce dryer sheets. (A whiff of those would certainly keep me away. I hate that smell.) Of course, we also do put out poison in the shed.

chocomouse
                            Participant

I used five-gallon pails 3/4 filled with water, and tossed in some sunflower seeds to tempt the chipmunks. My grand-daughter, about eight at the time, said, "Oh, I didn't know chipmunks could swim." They can't! Nor can they climb up the slippery sides of the pail. For mice, we've been baiting the traps with peanut butter mixed with bird seed, and it still seems to be working. But most effective on all those little critters is the cat.

S_Wirth
                              Participant

We have a 14 acre woods, 10 acres of mowed farmland and a three acre yard where we live and we are plagued with mice. So many of the cheaper mouse traps do not work at all, just a waste of money. These are the ones we use and they have never failed:

http://www.victorpest.com/victor-easy-set-mouse-trap-bm032-24

The whole page has a lot of info on setting the traps. There is a little cup on the other side of the metal setting area thing where our packages say to put the bait. We've used a piece of a nut or a chocolate chip with great results. We set ours to Sensitive so they really snap at the smallest bump of the peddle.

I buy Rampage place packs of poison we put in the crawlspace of the house and in the attic. It works quickly in areas we cannot see.

I posted on peppermint oil on the last post of page one of this topic.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

Admin note: I split the stuff about catching mice off from the Cinderella pumpkin thread.

I prefer the older style Victor traps, with the metal trigger, over than the plastic ones, but both seem to work fairly well here. I alternate which I use, because mice seem to learn how to avoid one, so I switch for a few weeks.

I tried the glue ones, a strong mouse just bounces around until he frees himself.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by htfoot.
                                  • This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by htfoot.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.