Speculaas Trouble Shooting

Home Forums Baking โ€” Desserts Speculaas Trouble Shooting

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Today I baked speculaas. I used a recipe that came from McCall's Holiday Baking and Entertaining (probably about 25 or more years ago) that I have baked before using ceramic cookie molds, but this time I wanted to use some of my vast collection of springerle molds. I also looked at the KAF recipe which was in a recent catalogue and is posted on their site:

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/speculaas-spiced-springerle-recipe

The two recipes are close, except that mine is set up to make twice as many (double the flour and butter) and uses brown sugar as well as 1/8 tsp. baking powder instead of 1/4 tsp. baking soda. Mine also uses just one egg. I was intrigued by the KAF addition of almond flour, but I decided to use just 1/2 cup (in addition to the regular flour) rather than doubling it to a whole cup for my recipe. I made the dough last night, rolled it 1/4-inch thick then refrigerated each half on cookie sheets, covered in saran.

Next time, I will not refrigerate the dough for so long. I had to wait a while for it to warm up so that I could imprint it, using a springerle mold (the hearth one KAF sold in a previous year), which I dusted each time with powdered sugar. I really had to bang down on the mold to get the design imprinted, so softer dough next time, and maybe I won't hurt the sides of my hands banging down on the mold. The designs were good, but when I baked them (350 for 20 minutes, as my recipe states), too much of the nice detail was lost. The later sheet did better than the first one, but I still would like the sharp detail.

I note that the KAF recipe calls for baking at 300F for 25-30 minutes, after freezing for 30 minutes, but some reviewers still complained in the comments that the designs did not come out well, so the slower bake may not be the answer. One of the KAF bakers responded by suggesting letting the imprinted cookies sit overnight before baking. That might dry them out a bit.

Any suggestions? Perhaps I should use a whole cup of almond flour? I really want the designs from the springerle molds to show up crisply.

The flavor is good but I will likely add 1/2 tsp. of nutmeg to the 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, 1 tsp. ginger, and 1 tsp. cloves. The KAF recipe uses their speculaas spice (no surprise there) but they do give directions online (not in the catalogue!) about what spices to substitute. I note that theirs is mostly cinnamon.

Here is the recipe as I baked it this time:
      3 cups unbleached flour
      1/2 cup almond flour
      1/8 tsp. baking powder
      1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
      1 tsp. cloves
      1 tsp. ginger

1 cup salted butter (original does not specify; older recipes tend to use salted (deleted 1/8 tsp. salt)
      1 1/4 cups light brown sugar
      1 egg
      (I deleted 1/2 cup sliced, blanched almonds, as they interfere with the design)

Any suggestions will be cheerfully considered! Thanks!

Spread the word
      S_Wirth
      Participant

Many long years ago, bettina (later 4paws2go) of the BakingCircle did the most gorgeous speculas I have ever seen. She had a recipe she relied upon and did a little picture presentation of the gorgeous designs she made. She used, I'm almost certain, baker's ammonia, to make them a success.

She dried them for a period of time. She and a lady from CA both so enjoyed doing/talking about these beauties in long, long threads.

I looked here to see if bettina's recipes for them got moved and cannot find them. I'm hoping Laura (bettina) will peek in and see this thread and hopefully she can place the recipe and tips here.

Baker's ammonia can be purchased from http://www.lorannoils.com where I buy most of my flavoring oils.

There is a place famous for the molds that I will look for and I think it has a recipe that is reliable.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Thanks, S. Wirth. I hope that Laura will look in again. (She was here recently to comment on Kasha.)
          I am sad that her thread was lost. ๐Ÿ™

House on the Hill used to sell springerle molds, but they no longer sell them directly. Molds must be ordered from third party sellers. However, I think that House on the Hill still has their recipes.

Fancy Flours carries a nice selection of molds, and most of mine come from there.

S_Wirth
          Participant

Yes...it is House on the Hill and they have recipes here:

https://www.houseonthehill.net/bake

However, I'm not certain Laura used their recipe. She worked on recipe a long time.

SibeTracker was another that loved this topic on the old BC. There were two threads and one had over 100 posts so they started another to continue speculas talk.

S_Wirth
            Participant

Looking thru the recipes, I think Laura and the others were baking Springerle rather than speculas...sorry for the confusion.

Here is a recipe that uses the baker's ammonia:

https://www.houseonthehill.net/perfection-springerle-cookies

BakerAunt
              Participant

Ah, yes. springerle. I only tried baking them once, and that was before I had a stand mixer. There is a lengthy period of beating the eggs, so it's not a great idea with a hand mixer. The cookies did not come out that well, and they were very hard, which may be what they are supposed to be. I think people dunk them in milk, coffee, tea. However, I'm not a dunker. I didn't use the baker's ammonia. If I ever try them again, then I will invest in it (and hope that I can air the house before my husband smells it!)

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by BakerAunt.
                rottiedogs
                Participant

All of Bettina's baker's ammonia recipes are posted. It is a huge listing. Link below.

omaria
                  Participant

Well hello everybody ! Merry Christmas and a happy New Year. I found my old password sheet and here I am. Speculaas molds that I have (besides very old ones) are made by Gene Wilson . http://www.cookiemold.com. I also have the book "Cookie Molds" by Anne L. Watson. When we were still on the Baking circle I made a remark that her speculaas recipe was not very good and low and behold she answered . The molds by Gene are beautiful. I have Sint Nicolaas on the horse. I also have the Dutch boy and girl.. My old molds have windmills, sail boats, and so on. I had pictures on the BC. but do not know where I have them now, The speculaas did keep the shapes nice and sharp.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

It is so good to hear from you Omaria!

cwcdesign
                      Participant

Merry Christmas Omaria! It s a pleasure to see you here. I hope you visit often

S_Wirth
                        Participant

Omaria it is such a nice surprise to hear from you! Hope you and your family are all well. I miss so much all of our BC friends that we don't hear from anymore. I have been worrying about all the CA wildfires and wondering if frick/Nina's house was spared and yours.

Hope you've had a wonderful Christmas and that your New Year will be extra special.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.