Sloppy Joes recipes?

Home Forums Requests Sloppy Joes recipes?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

With my wife's allergy to garlic, we can't use Manwich to make sloppy joes.

For the last few years, I've been buying the garlic-free Heinz Sloppy Joe sauce, but it is no longer available locally, I'm still checking with Heinz to see if it has been discontinued entirely.

So, now I'm in need of a recipe for Sloppy Joes--without garlic, of course. Suggestions?

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

My Sloppy Joe recipe would not help you, even if you left out the garlic powder, since the Penzey's Adobo seasoning is really one of the key ingredients, and it is a blend that includes garlic. However, the other key ingredient, celery seed, might be something to consider if you put together your own recipe.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I may make up a batch of Sloppy Joe sauce using onions, sweet peppers and tomato sauce, celery seed is one ingredient I probably would not have thought of. (The Sams tomato sauce in 15 ounce cans has no garlic in it, one of the few tomato sauces that is garlic-free. Tomato paste is generally garlic-free, though.)

When I make marinara, I use a lot of oregano and marjoram, starting with a #10 can of diced tomatoes. (I puree it with my stick blender at the end.)

RiversideLen
          Participant

I have a pretty good recipe I got from my mother in law. I have it posted on another site and got some good reviews on it. It calls for canned tomato soup but if you object to any of the ingredients in the soup, try making it with plain tomato sauce.

Recipe posted.

cwcdesign
            Participant

Hi Mike, my favorite sloppy Joe recipe is Asian sloppy joes from Ming Tsai, but he uses 2 1\2 tablespoons of garlic.

However, I googled "sloppy joes without garlic" and a number came up - one used ½ teaspoon each of garlic and onion powders, but you could probably use a teaspoon of onion powder.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I saw the recipe, thanks. When I was at the grocery store the other day I was looking at the labels of things like Ro-Tel tomato sauce, most of those don't have garlic.

S_Wirth
                Participant

My mom always made ours with ketchup, mustard, brown sugar and apple cider vinegar so that is what I use...no recipe or proportions, we just do it.

Yesterday, I read about ketchup brands to see if they have garlic and some do and some don't.

Toady, I looked at Miracle Whip and it contains dried garlic. I make our own thousand island dressing using Miracle Whip, ketchup, pickle relish and some sugar. It is so much better than store bought.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

My wife can handle minute amounts of garlic, there isn't enough in Miracle Whip to be a problem. Same thing with Worcestershire sauce. (BTW, did you know they make powdered Worcestershire? I saw it in an ingredient list the other day.) But if a recipe starts out with something like 'take 2 cloves of garlic...', she won't be able to handle it.

I make Thousand Island dressing with home-made mayo, a little minced onion, diced sweet peppers, sweet pickle relish, ketchup, hard boiled egg and paprika. The mayo is made with egg, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, salt and powdered mustard.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

My sloppy joe or sloppy Josephine recipe also has a ketchup base to which I add brown sugar, dried mustard, garlic powder, onion powder (husband does not like onions), adobo seasoning, and celery seed. I'll have to try some apple cider vinegar next time.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

We like to use tarragon red wine vinegar when cooking. I make my own by adding fresh tarragon to a bottle of wine vinegar and letting it sit for several weeks.

The wine teacher at the University of Nebraska has given us several bottles of wine vinegar, they're excellent, but I think it helps that they're starting from a much higher quality wine.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.