Roasting Butternut Squash

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) Roasting Butternut Squash

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Ole Lady asked about how I roast butternut squash. Here is my method.

I line a large sheet pan with parchment and pre-heat the oven to 375F.

I wash the squash. I cut off the bottom, so that I have a flat place to start cutting. I use a Kuhn-Rikon knife that was marketed for cutting pumpkins. It has jack-o-lantern cut outs on the knife, which is not what helps it cut, and which actually makes cleaning it more difficult, as I need to get squash threads out of the cut-outs. What makes it great for this use is the wide, sawtooth blunt tip blade. It goes through the thick skins of pumpkin and butternut squashes very well.

I cut it in half lengthwise. Then I use a grapefruit spoon to scoop out the seeds and pulp. There is a lot less than in a pumpkin--just down at the bottom--so this goes fast.

I then put the squash cut-side down onto the parchment-lined baking sheet. I roast it at 375F for an hour, or longer, until I can push down on the skin and know that the interior is soft.

I remove it from the oven, and turn the squash over. I let them cool a bit, then I scoop out the squash and run it in the food processor.

I hope that helps! Butternut squash is now one of my favorites.

Spread the word
      oldelady
      Participant

Thanks Baker Aunt. We both are very senior citizens and no longer have the strength to do the many cuts it takes to peel and cut the squash up to steam it as we used to do. I think we'll have to have our friend who is much younger cut it in half and then I can finish the prep.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Ole Lady,

This would be an easier way to get the squash peeled:

https://www.tastingtable.com/cook/national/how-to-peel-butternut-squash-microwave?utm_medium=email&utm_source=TT&utm_campaign=Daily&utm_content=Editorial

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by BakerAunt.
          oldelady
          Participant

Our friend offered to cut my squashes in half and did it after driving us to the doctors on Tuesday. I roasted them and when they were cool emptied them. Wednesday I used my immersion blender to smooth them out and seasoned some for today and froze the rest. Thannks for your help everybody.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.