Rice Bread

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I'm sharing an interesting article on rice bread in the South.

https://www.saveur.com/rice-bread-in-south-carolina

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

Interesting,I've never heard of it.

chocomouse
        Participant

That's interesting. I've used brown rice flour in my whole-grain mix, but that ends up being a very small percentage of the flour used.

BakerAunt
          Participant

KAF has a recipe in Sift for a bread that uses wild rice. I've not tried it.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

You know, of course, that wild rice is not really a form of rice, it's a grass.

There a plenty of rice flour breads in the gluten-free cookbooks, of the ones I've tried, most aren't very tasty and they stale VERY quickly.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Oops!

chocomouse
                Participant

I thought all rice came from a grass, although "wild rice" is a different species than the "white" rice that is more common. I guess that would make all rice a grain? I remember reading quite a while ago that most wild rice on the market is cultivated, not really "wild". And that farmers/growers in the Great Lakes areas of Michigan and Wisconsin were trying to expand their production. I've not seen anything about that recently.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

Biologically, corn, wheat and rye are all grasses, too, but from different families. Being from different families is why wild rice isn't considered a true rice.

chocomouse
                    Participant

I just located my notes from a bread that a group of us on the old Baking Circle made, back in February of 2010. Each week or so we all made the same bread, and wrote about it. We made the Wild Rice, Oat, and Polenta Bread on p. 338 in The Bread and Bread Machine Bible by Christine Ingram and Jennie Shapter. My notes say it had good flavor, a little dense, not much rise; the wild rice in the crust is very hard, crunchy. I remember the hard rice! It was not pleasant. The directions do say to cook the wild rice first, according to the directions on the packages. The good flavor was not good enough for me to want endure the crunchiness of another batch. I'm sure I have a photo of mine somewhere in my Old Photo File.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

Even when it's fully cooked, wild rice has a bit of a snap to it. I've made a wild rice and mushroom soup a few times, but haven't hit on the right recipe yet. (Famous Dave's had a great version, but dropped it from the menu. I haven't been back since. Zoup has a pretty good one, but all their soups are unnecessarily high in sodium, and most have garlic, so we've stopped going there.)

Caraway tends to be really crunchy in a baked bread, too, but rye bread without caraway isn't an option as far as I'm concerned.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

I've actually been thinking about a recipe that I have for Turkey Wild Rice Soup that came out of one of those Pillsbury cook booklets (#34) years ago.. The original used broth, wild rice, green onion, margarine, flour, poultry seasoning, half and half, cooked turkey, and some dried sherry. It used crumpled bacon as a garnish.

I made it for years, after Thanksgiving, using butter rather than margarine, and using nonfat milk. I never used the bacon garnish, as it was lovely as is. I've been trying to figure out how I can alter it to lower the saturated fat. 1/2 cup butter is not going to work with my dietary restriction. I might try it with low-fat evaporated milk and leave out the flour and butter.

SherryWright
                          Participant

Thanks for the advice and idea.

chocomouse
                            Participant

Baker Aunt, a half a cup of butter seems excessive in a turkey soup! I assume it's to make a roux with the flour, so I wonder if the amount can just be decreased? Can you make a thickener with a little oil? What about KAF's Culinary/Signature Secrets or Clear Gel? I know some people have thickened soup with potato. I've put wild rice in turkey soups, but never thickened it; and, I prefer orzo.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

Chocomouse--I'm pretty sure that I could decrease the butter, as I cut back on the amount in my turkey pot pie back before I needed to reduce saturated fat. Possibly, if I cut it to 4 Tbs., used less flour, and am vigilant about serving size, I would get a soup that is not as thick but still pleasing, and with a much lower amount of saturated fat.

I'll experiment when we do a turkey. That won't be at Thanksgiving, as we have an invitation to join friends, and with getting the house ready for the start of renovation, we find an invitation to eat Thanksgiving elsewhere a blessing. I plan to take Stella Parks' yeasted pumpkin bread (maple version) made according to her instructions for rolls. Breads I can manage.

skeptic7
                                Participant

Years ago, I did a white rice and white flour bread from "English Bread and Yeast Cookery" by Elizabeth David. I only did it once but it starts with cooking the rice in a large amount of water until very soft and then mixing in flour and yeast. I gave it to a friend who was suffering from morning sickness and she found it very digestable.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.