Recipes for Corned beef and pastrami

Home Forums General Discussions Recipes for Corned beef and pastrami

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    aaronatthedoublef
    Participant

Hi,

I am going to start making my own corned beef and pastrami. Does anyone have any recipes they can recommend? There are a few million out there and starting with something you folks trust will help me quite bit.

Thanks

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I've never made pastrami, I've made corned beef a few times, none of the recipes I tried were worth repeating. The best thing I've made with a brisket is the time I tried to do a variant on Montreal Smoked Meat (without the garlic.) It was almost good enough to convince me to buy a real smoker. It bears some resemblance to pastrami.

The pastrami at Katz's on Houston in NYC is world-famous, and for good reason. I had a friend who lived in Chelsea for a while and he would take the subway down to Katz's every few days. Later he moved to the DC area for a few months, and was ordering whole pastramis from Katz's every few months.

skeptic7
        Participant

Good luck! I don't have any recipes to offer, but I hope you find success. Are you going to make New England style corn beef? Thats the one w
          ithout Sodium Nitrate, so it turns out somewhat gray in color.

aaronatthedoublef
          Participant

Thanks. I'm not sure what style I will make. Just starting out. I've found a few recipes but some are too fussy and I just need an extended period of time to get my brine mixed. Although one recipe I found seems to use a dry rub...

I'll let you all know what I find.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

The Montreal Smoked Meat dry rub was interesting to make, as several of the spices, including mustard seed and fennel seed, had to be toasted first, and each seed took a different amount of time to toast, and smelled interesting as they toasted.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Where are those sous chefs when you need them? 🙂

I'm saying that as I prepare to tackle the mound of dishes I left in my wake in the kitchen this morning....

• This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by BakerAunt.
              Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.