Pumpkin Spice Cake in Need of Adjustment

Home Forums Baking — Desserts Pumpkin Spice Cake in Need of Adjustment

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I baked a recipe today, Spiced Pumpkin Cake, from Kaiser Backform. The cake is has a wonderful flavor, and it is light. However, the center part is slightly sunken. I suspect the leavening (3 tsp. baking powder and 1 tsp. baking soda) is out of balance. I should have thought about how baking soda has 4x the rising action of baking powder. I hope that Cass will see this post and comment.

Here are the ingredients:
      3 cups cake flour
      3 tsp. baking powder
      1 tsp. baking soda
      1 tsp. salt
      6 oz. (1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter)
      2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
      3 large eggs
      1 tsp. ground cinnamon
      1/4 tsp. ground cloves
      3/4 cups milk (I used 1%)
      3/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
      1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin (I used homemade pumpkin puree.)
      3/4 cups walnuts (I used pecans from our tree)

Spread the word
      KIDPIZZA
      Participant

I baked a recipe today, Spiced Pumpkin Cake, from Kaiser Backform. The cake is has a wonderful flavor, and it is light. However, the center part is slightly sunken. I suspect the leavening (3 tsp. baking powder and 1 tsp. baking soda) is out of balance. I should have thought about how baking soda has 4x the rising action of baking powder. I hope that Cass will see this post and comment.

Here are the ingredients:
        3 cups cake flour
        3 tsp. baking powder
        1 tsp. baking soda
        1 tsp. salt
        6 oz. (1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter)
        2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
        3 large eggs
        1 tsp. ground cinnamon
        1/4 tsp. ground cloves
        3/4 cups milk (I used 1%)
        3/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
        1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin (I used homemade pumpkin puree.)
        3/4 cups walnuts (I used pecans from our tree)

BAKERAUNT:
        Good early morning to you my dear friend. I scrutinized this recipe for you as you requested.

Hear is what I do not like about this recipe. It is balanced correctly.... but & however.... My thinking is that the middle portion as you have described tells me your baked product is suffering somewhat from a insufficent gluten structure somewhat. WHY !!!! because of the in~balance of SUGAR & CAKE FLOUR. The problem is you may employed less flour than the weight of the sugar. This sugar should weigh out to 14.5, oz...the cake flour at 3, cups should weigh at approx. 4,375, oz per cup or approx. 13.5, oz.

And Soooo my friend just equal the weights of the sugar & flour. & then post back with the results.

NOTE: Marliss after mixing, let batter sit for 30, minutes to let the puree ABSORB the milk liquid. DEFINETLY not to EXCEED 1, HR. (60, minutes) WHY????? If so the acidity of the puree & sugar will begin to coagulate the eggs.

I think I am finished now Marliss... Post back after re~baking.

Enjoy the day Marliss.

~CASS / KIDPIZZA.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Dear Cass,

Thank you for scrutinizing the recipe for me. As Kaiser is a German company (and this pan is made in Germany), I suspect that the recipe was changed from grams to cups. Somebody probably thought, "Close enough," which does not work in cake baking. I have made a note on the recipe that flour and sugar need to be in balance. I will use a scale next time to add enough flour to make it equal the weight of the sugar.

After we cut into the cake last night, we noted that the center is done, just a bit sunken.

I baked the cake in a pan with a removable bottom, and I followed the instructions to put the prepared pan in the freezer until ready to use. I would have to let the batter sit in the bowl before putting it into the pan. I can do that. Am I correct that it will not affect the baking soda, as the baking powder does the primary lift, and the baking soda is there to counteract acidity?

It will likely be fall before I bake it again, as I've used up all my cake flour and will not buy more until after we move. However, when I do bake it again, I will post the results, as well as your corrections, so that others may bake it.

Thank you again!

KIDPIZZA
          Participant

Dear Cass,

Thank you for scrutinizing the recipe for me. As Kaiser is a German company (and this pan is made in Germany), I suspect that the recipe was changed from grams to cups. Somebody probably thought, “Close enough,” which does not work in cake baking. I have made a note on the recipe that flour and sugar need to be in balance. I will use a scale next time to add enough flour to make it equal the weight of the sugar.

After we cut into the cake last night, we noted that the center is done, just a bit sunken.

I baked the cake in a pan with a removable bottom, and I followed the instructions to put the prepared pan in the freezer until ready to use. I would have to let the batter sit in the bowl before putting it into the pan. I can do that. Am I correct that it will not affect the baking soda, as the baking powder does the primary lift, and the baking soda is there to counteract acidity?

It will likely be fall before I bake it again, as I’ve used up all my cake flour and will not buy more until after we move. However, when I do bake it again, I will post the results, as well as your corrections, so that others may bake it.

Thank you again!

BAKERAUNT:
            Hello again. Marliss do like I do when I split a large bowl when I bake in 2 or even 3 shifts. Just add the baking soda into the bowl at the time you are ready to bake. Mix it in thoroughly with your spatula & pour batter into the baking pan & THROW IT into the oven (LOL)

Enjoy the day Marliss.

~CASS / KIDPIZZA.

KIDPIZZA
            Participant

Dear Cass,

Thank you for scrutinizing the recipe for me. As Kaiser is a German company (and this pan is made in Germany), I suspect that the recipe was changed from grams to cups. Somebody probably thought, “Close enough,” which does not work in cake baking. I have made a note on the recipe that flour and sugar need to be in balance. I will use a scale next time to add enough flour to make it equal the weight of the sugar.

It will likely be fall before I bake it again, as I’ve used up all my cake flour and will not buy more until after we move. However, when I do bake it again, I will post the results, as well as your corrections, so that others may bake it.

Thank you again!

BAKERAUNT:
              Hello again. Marliss do like I do when I split a large bowl when I bake in 2 or even 3 shifts. Just add the baking soda into the bowl at the time you are ready to bake. Mix it in thoroughly with your spatula & pour batter into the baking pan & THROW IT into the oven (LOL)

Enjoy the day Marliss.

~CASS / KIDPIZZA.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Thanks, Cass! That is what I will do. 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.