Pre-Bake Crust on Mini-Pecan Pies?

Home Forums Baking — Desserts Pre-Bake Crust on Mini-Pecan Pies?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I need to use up some Lyle's Golden Syrup (we can only eat so many Anzacs, delicious as they are), so I am planning to make the KAF recipe for Lyle's Golden Pecan Mini Pies:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/lyles-golden-pecan-mini-pies-recipe

I am puzzled, because when I bake a regular pecan pie, I always partially pre-bake the crust. However, this recipe does not call for that step. Would it be a good idea to go ahead and do the pre-bake anyway? I'll be using some mini-pie/tart pans that Chicago Metallic makes--with removable bottoms.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I don't think pre-baking is as important, possibly not necessary at all, on mini-pies.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Thanks, Mike. That will save me a step.

aaronatthedoublef
          Participant

Never tried mini-pies although I keep meaning to. One of my pastry chef friends started a whole individual pie trend in Seattle. I think it would make for a nicer dessert but at Thanksgiving my people want to see a whole pie that is cut into and served. Also if you have different slices of pie on your plate - our family tradition is a little of everything - they run together and so people end up with pecan mixed with pumpkin mixed with chocolate hazelnut all with whipped cream.

KAF's big pecan pie calls for blind baking in their baking book. And I found a good article on blind baking here.

Please let me know how your mini-pies turn out. Maybe I'll try some pies this summer.

BakerAunt
            Participant

I always partially blind bake large pecan or pumpkin pie shells. (I follow the Cook's Illustrated guidelines), which is why I was surprised that the mini-shells do not get blind baked. I'd actually bought small basket coffee filters (use the large commercial ones for regular-sized pies) to use, so when I looked at the recipe I was surprised. It could be that the small amount of filling bakes faster, so no need to pre-bake the shell.

I thought that the mini-pies also might freeze well for quick desserts.

I'll report back once I try them.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I think the primary reason for blind baking a full-sized crust is so that the crust gets fully baked, even in the very center. (A soggy not-quite-fully baked center is not good.)

With a small diameter pie (probably anything 6 inches or smaller), the center of the crust doesn't take as long to get fully baked, so there's no need for blind-baking.

I've never made or (as far as I know) ever had Anzacs, what are they like? They look sort of like oatmeal cookies in this recipe:
                Anzac Biscuits

BakerAunt
                Participant

Hi, Mike. That recipe is close to the KAF Cookie Companion one, and I note that it also specifies quick oats. However, the KAF recipe uses shredded sweetened coconut (I used unsweet), 3/4 cup of sugar, and 2 Tbs. Lyle's golden syrup. It also uses 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda and 2 Tbs. boiling water. I used the Zeroll #40 scoop, so mine were larger than the KAF ones. They do spread out while baking. I only needed to bake them 15 minutes on heavy baking sheets. Leave room to spread.

The cookies firm up as they cool and are delightfully crunchy. My husband does not care for coconut, and he enjoyed them. They last well, and are a good cookie to take on trips. They don't dry out because they are already dry.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by BakerAunt.
                Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.