Pizza Dough Help

Home Forums Baking — Savory Pizza Dough Help

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    cwcdesign
    Participant

I have just tried searching for some of the pizza threads that I saved - found 2, but not necessarily the recipes I was looking for. I also tried to see if Mike's recipe for Peter Reinhart's pizza dough had migrated over here, but I searched "Peter Reinhart" and "Mike Nolan" to no avail. Peter Reinhart popped up in one of Mike's blog posts,but I got nothing for Mike Nolan. I don't know:-)

Anyhow, a question for you Mike. Does the Peter Reinhart recipe require anything more that unbleached flour, semolina, yeast (all of which I have on hand). Can it be made pretty thin? And, can you make it and leave it in the fridge for a couple of days?

I really want some dough on hand so I can FINALLY try out this baking steel. I've only had it for a year now.

Thanks! Carol

Spread the word
      KIDPIZZA
      Participant

CAROL:
        Good afternoon my friend. I trust you are & have been well since we spoke last.

GO TO:

http://www.food.com/recipe/peter-reinharts-napoletana-pizza+dough+recipe-371543

Here you find the recipe employing the semolina flour. There is another recipe that is in his APPRENTICE book it doesn't employ semolina...which one did you wish????

Carol, my dear friend I am glad you came to the right person with your request...(LOL)

Enjoy the weekend.

~CASS.

PS:
        Carol be carefull do not...do not employ 40 DEGREE water as stated..I am going to correct Mr. Peter you will disable the yeast if you do. 65 degree water will suffice.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by KIDPIZZA. Reason: correction in original recipe as printed
        BakerAunt
        Participant

Hi, Cwcdesign,

Here is Mike's post: https://mynebraskakitchen.com/wordpress/forums/topic/chicago-style-pizza-dough/

We really need a better sorter on the recipes. I think that I found it on page 9 or so of "pizza." The sorter also picks up kidpizza's name and includes those posts.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by BakerAunt.
          cwcdesign
          Participant

Thanks BakerAunt. I searched pizza and it brought up nothing. So I must be doing some wrong in my searches. I need to get some cornmeal so will probably make the dough tomorrow. Can't wait!

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I'm not sure what Peter Reinhart pizza dough recipe you're referring to. The only pizza dough I remember ever posting isn't one of Peter's, it's adapted from one in the Great Chicago Style Pizza Cookbook.

Peter has a number of dough recipes posted at his Pizza Quest site.

I have used Peter's 'Roman' thin crust dough from American Pie, but I don't think I've ever posted it anywhere. That recipe can be stretched so thin it is almost transparent.

I think any pizza dough recipe actually gets better if aged for a day or two.

I completely agree that we need a better way to search the recipes area, I just haven't found one I like yet.

cwcdesign
              Participant

It was the Roman crust that I was thinking of. I'll check out Peter's site. I do like one of KAF's recipes, but it's the beer crust pizza that you make within a couple of hours of making the dough and I want to find something a little different. Thanks.
                Mike, when you weigh flour for these recipes that might only give cups, what do you use for ounces per cup?

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I generally use 4.25 ounces per cup for AP flour and bread flour, you can always add more flour if the dough seems too moist. Cake flour is a bit lighter, whole wheat flour a bit heavier.

I've used this thin crust pizza recipe several times:
                  thin crust pizza dough

cwcdesign
                  Participant

Sorry I missed your post the other day, Cass. Thanks for the link to the Neapolitan pizza dough. I found the Roman dough at this site http://flamingobear.com/2009/05/roman-pizza-dough/
                    So I am going to try it first. After I submit this, I think I'd better order American Pie from Amazon.

Thank you all for your help. I'll keep you posted.

cwcdesign
                    Participant

I've ordered the book - it should be here on Wednesday. I made the dough, but already missed one step - I forgot to leave it on the counter for ½ hour, but I figure that's not too bad. Don't know yet whether we're having pizza tonight or tomorrow.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

Leaving it out for a half hour gives the yeast a chance to get busy, since yeast activity slows down at cooler temperatures, but I don't think it'll be a critical issue.

When you read American Pie, see if you can figure out how the really long pizza (like 6 or 8 feet long) is folded into and baked in an oven that is too small for it to fit, I'm still pondering how that works. If I ever make it back to Italy, I may have to go looking for that style of pizza. (The pizza we had in Turin was the standard round variety, delicious, and obviously very popular with the locals, we must have seen 200 of them go out the door during our two hour meal there.)

cwcdesign
                        Participant

The pizza was a success and the baking steel was much easier to use than I anticipated. We liked the dough, but I'm looking forward to reading Peter's book and recipes for tweaking. We all liked his pizza sauce, too. I divided the dough in 6 pieces since I wanted to start with smaller ones. We have 3 balls of dough in the freezer as well as some sauce. Will took pictures and they're in my email. As soon as I get them from there to the iPad I'll post.
                          Thanks you all for your help.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.