Persimmons?

Home Forums Requests Persimmons?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    BevM
    Participant

My neighbor has given me four persimmons from the tree in her yard. I've done some research and identified them as Fuyu persimmons. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to bake a bread or muffins with them? I am not sure I would like them to eat like an apple (I believe I tried one years ago at my grandmother's house and didn't like it). There are some recipes on the internet, but I'm not sure which type each one uses. Any and all comments and suggestions are welcome.

Spread the word
      S_Wirth
      Participant

I have two persimmon recipes posted here...persimmon cookies and steamed persimmon pudding. I love persimmon pulp in the freezer for baking later in the year after the season is gone. Mine are the common old persimmons found in the country. I always washed them and ran them thru a Foley food mill to get the pulp out into a bowl. They stain things very badly so be careful.

You can find my recipes by typing in persimmon in the Search box on the page Forums. Let me know if you cannot find them.

BevM
        Participant

S_wirth, thanks for responding with info on your recipes. I have never had much luck searching for a specific recipe on this sight. I'm not sure why. The persimmons I sampled years ago were out in the country at my grandmother's house and they might not have been fully ripe. The ones my neighbor shared are not ripe yet so I will have to wait or put them in the freezer. She had to pick some since the birds are after them!!

S_Wirth
          Participant

When I was a kid, we always had to wait for a hard freeze for the persimmons to be ripe and they'd fall from the tree. Otherwise they were puckery. We were dairy farmers and if the cows ate the persimmons it would dry them up and they'd give no milk for awhile so we had to keep persimmons picked up so the cows didn't get them.

Here are my recipes in case anyone would like to see them.

BevM
            Participant

S_Wirth, thanks for posting links to your recipes. The steamed pudding looks good. My family would never eat cookies with persimmons :-(. Some of the comments made on the links I checked, suggested that the persimmons be put in the freezer for several days/weeks to hasten the ripening process. Apparently it also changes the texture slightly. It sounds like quite an adventure to experiment with this fruit.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Bev, I saw this article on persimmons that might be of help to you:

https://www.tastingtable.com/cook/national/persimmon-fruit-recipe-ideas

BevM
                Participant

BakerAunt,Apologize for taking so long to respond...it's been a tough week here. Thank you for posting that article on persimmons. There aren't a lot of recipes for baking with the Fuyu and I'm not sure I will pursue baking with them since I'm really not sure that I like them!!!
                  Thanks again for all your input.
                  Bev

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.