Peach Cobbler

Home Forums Recipes Peach Cobbler

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    BevM
    Participant

I have tried to locate the original source for this recipe without luck. Unfortunately, in the 70's I found lots of recipes in magazine advertisements and articles and never noted the source on most of them. This is a good basic recipe with a biscuit-type topping both of which can be tweaked to suit your personal taste.

COBBLER AND TOPPING
      Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
      In a saucepan, mix 1/2 cup sugar with 1 tablespoon cornstarch
      Gradually stir in one No. 2 size can of fruit
      Bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Pour into a 1-1/2 qt. baking dish. Dot with butter, sprinkle with cinnamon and set aside while preparing the topping.

Sift together 1 cup flour
      1 T. sugar
      1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
      1/2 tsp. salt
      With a pastry blender, cut in 3 T. shortening until it looks like cornmeal.
      Stir in 1/2 cup milk (it will be thick and sticky).
      Drop by spoonfuls on to the hot fruit. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Serve warm.
      6 - 8 servings

Spread the word
      Italiancook
      Participant

Bev, I'm interested in the recipe because it uses canned peaches. Something available year-round. But I don't know what size is No. 2 size can. Is that a 15-ounce can? Or larger? I don't recall having ever seen peaches in a large can this century. But maybe I just haven't looked for them. Thanks!

BevM
        Participant

Italian cook, I should have changed that description to a 28 ounce can. I also like that canned peaches makes it easy to make all year. Sometimes I will get a smaller can and just add the peaches minus the syrup to increase the amount of fruit! You might want to decrease the amount of sugar depending on the brand of peaches you use. My daughter's favorite part is the biscuit topping. I hope you enjoy it.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Frozen peaches are available year round these days, and IMHO are usually better quality.

Here's a site that shows traditional can numbers and their size:
            can sizes

BevM
            Participant

Mike, thanks for suggesting the frozen peaches. I will try that next time I'm in the mood for peach cobbler. Also, thanks for posting that website for can sizes. They have changed quite a bit over the years.

Italiancook
              Participant

Mike, thanks for posting the can size chart. This will come in handy for me. I have a cookbook that lists all cans by the can number. Now I can figure out whether my guesses on the volume are correct.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.