Our community is grieving

Home Forums Member News Our community is grieving

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    wonky
    Participant

Perhaps some of you have seen on CNN or other news outlets about the death of 4 members of our community here at Loyal, WI when their kayak capsized on Lake Superior. This tight-knit community is in shock, and we are mourning their loss.
      Eric, the father of the 3 children who lost their lives due to a storm that blew in while they were on the lake. died of hypothermia. The water temp was 60 degrees. Eric was found by the coast guard, with one child clinging to his back, and one child clinging to the front of him. Both children were dead. The other child was found about 7 hours later. Only the mother survived. She had gotten separated from the rest of the family as she swam to the kayak to retrieve an emergency kit. She got the cell phone out of the pack, and a flashlight. She sent 911 messages, and also disturbing messages to her sister, but they did not receive the messages until 4 hours later. The coast guard found her because of the bobbing of the flashlight.

Eric had just finished painting our porch, and 2 new walk-in doors in the garage. He was to paint my spare bedroom, which I am turning into a sewing room. He planned to start the room tomorrow.

His children adored him, and he them. The 9 y/o (Kyra) would come and sit with us on our deck while her daddy painted. She was so beautiful, so kind, and so loved by all.

Yesterday (Saturday) was the combined funeral held at the high school gymnasium. About 500 people attended. It was the saddest funeral I have ever attended. I baked 4 pans of bars and took them to the Trap Club, where the dinner was held. It broke my heart, and I think I cried the whole time I was baking.

Our community will grieve the loss, but we are Loyal to Loyal, and we will help each other through this unspeakable loss.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

Wonky this is so sad.Prayers for the family and friends of the community.I haven't seen any of this on TV,God Bless the mother and may the hand of God be with those with heavy hearts.God Bless you Wonky.
        Wonky I did find this article about this family and the pictures of them were beautiful,looked like a sweet loving family.Sad.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by Joan Simpson.
        chocomouse
        Participant

How sad! It was so difficult to read about this in the newspaper. I cannot imagine. It sounds like the community members will provide much needed support for each other. And for that dear mother/wife. Wonky, I'm sure you will feed their hearts and bodies well.

BakerAunt
          Participant

I had heard about the accident but did not realize the local connection. Wonky, I am praying for strength for all of you in the painful time now and in the days ahead. The support the community draws from each other will be what sustains each individual.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I remember the story but hadn't made the connection either. Registering one's location isn't required (and not everyone wants that information known, either),

Having come from a small town myself, I know how an incident like this can devastate everyone, my deepest sympathies to you and your neighbors.

skeptic7
              Participant

I am very sorry for your community's loss. I heard a mention of the accident on the news but not the details.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.