Onion Powder, Anyone?

Home Forums General Discussions Onion Powder, Anyone?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant
      S_Wirth
      Participant

I use lots of onion powder and dried minced onions. Have done for many, many years. I got tired of onions going bad and a moldy mess to clean up so I started buying a 3# container that looked like a gallon size from Country Life Natural Foods in Pullman, MI.

We eat lots of casseroles and tuna salad, pasta dishes and many other dishes that use onions so the onion powder and dried minced onions are a true time saver.

We've found thru the years that the dried minced onions cause a lot of gas issues where the pure onion powder does not. I've never figured this out but it certainly is the case. I do not like the toasted dried minced onions at all. There is a taste that I do not care for.

I now buy onion powder and dried minced onions at Dollar General for a nice price and it is plenty good for us.

Italiancook
        Participant

All this talk reminds me that I've been meaning to try KAF "Onion Buns" for eons. I bought dried minced onion specifically for that recipe. If it's not expired, I'll make these over the weekend, if it's not raining. I grew up hearing that you never bake bread when it's raining. I don't know if humidity from rain really changes the amount of flour you have to use, because I've never tried it. The "Onion Buns" use both onion powder and have dried minced onions on top.

Rascals1
          Participant

S-wirth I to have used onion powder or granulated onions along with minced dried onions. We wasted to many of the fresh is why I did. I also use dried garlic in both forms for the same reason. When I have fresh in the garden I can pull them up and peel them and eat either on right there in the garden.
            Italiancook, I liked the onion buns hope you do also.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by Rascals1.
            • This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by Rascals1.
            Joan Simpson
            Participant

I use real onions and a lot of onion powder also,Dollar General brand works for me!I really like it in my tuna salad too!Add it to most dishes that use onion.

S_Wirth
              Participant

Something we really like for a quick meal item...I scrub potatoes and cut them across into rings less than 1/4 inch thick. I use a Steam N Bag from Ziplock...add two big potatoes cut into the rings, add salt, pepper and onion powder and cook for 4 minutes in the microwave on high. Let rest and cook more from residual heat for a few minutes, then microwave for 2 more minutes right before we eat. The onion powder makes them taste great.

I re-use the bags after rinsing them with very hot water and letting them dry out well.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Italian Cook--Those onion buns sound good. I don't think that dried onion goes bad, so you should be ok.

I bought dried onion from Walmart for that cracker bread I made last week. I've ordered some from Penzey's so that I can compare. The small Walmart bottle was 99 cents, but I was amazed at the price of the other jars of dried onion.

I note that some rye rolls I hope to bake also use dried onion.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I've been cutting back on how much onion I use when cooking, because my wife is concerned that her garlic allergy might develop into an allergy to the entire allium genus, including onions and leeks.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

I had been wondering about that Mike, so I'm glad that you commented on it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.