Oatmeal Crisps (Chocolate Chip Cookies)

Home Forums Recipes Oatmeal Crisps (Chocolate Chip Cookies)

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Oatmeal Crisps Cookies

These are still the best cookies I've ever had for dunking in milk. Sorry, Oreos! They hold up great when shipped, too. My sister would make these with butter, but they'd flatten more and I don't think they tasted as good. My younger son fiddled with using Splenda products, with reasonable success. I've also made it with gluten-free flour and it was hard to tell the difference. (Substitute equal amounts by dry measure.)

Ingredients

Cream together:

1 cup shortening (6.8 ounces)
      1 cup light brown sugar (7.75 ounces)
      1 cup sugar (7.1 ounces)
      1 teaspoon vanilla
      2 eggs

Mix with:

2 cups flour (8.5 ounces), I prefer bleached flour for cookies
      1 teaspoon baking soda
      1 teaspoon baking powder
      1 teaspoon salt

Add:

2 cups rolled oats (5.7 ounces, preferably old fashioned, NOT the quick variety)
      1 cup chopped nuts (optional, I seldom add them)
      1 cup chocolate chips (6 ounces, sometimes I use a cup and a half)

Instructions

Drop spoonful sized chunks onto a lightly greased cookie sheet. A #60 scoop works well for this. Do not flatten.

Bake at 350 degrees for 15-16 minutes, bottom should be light brown. I always bake the first batch for 15 minutes and then see how much additional time to bake them

Will get even crisper after a day, if they last that long.

Yields 60 cookies about 2 1/2 inches in diameter
      Source: Ruth Nolan

• This topic was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by Mike Nolan.
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by htfoot.
      Nina Beyt
      Participant

I hope to make these next week. I think I may have copied them from the BC. I'm involved in a giant bake and box cookies for disabled veterans next week. Your recipe sounds like a winner. I suspect I'll use butter though.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I made a gluten-free half-batch of these the other day, along with a half-batch of the standard recipe.

In place of the cup of wheat flour, I used 1/4 cup of sweet rice flour, 1/4 cup of sorghum flour, 1/4 cup of potato starch and 1/4 cup of tapioca flour, and I used a certified gluten-free oatmeal.

They came out very good, and like their gluten cousins, they got better a day later. I could detect a taste difference between them and the ones made with wheat flour, but both tasted very good.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

One of these cookies is from the gluten-free batch, the other is from the standard recipe.

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Can you tell which is which just by looking at them? (The size difference is because I made one batch with a #60 scoop and the other with a #100 scoop.)

I can tell by taste, but the gluten-free ones are pretty good, and getting better as they age.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Mike Nolan.
          Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.