Nut Genoise

Home Forums Baking — Desserts Nut Genoise

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

For a birthday cake at work, I have a request for a Nut Genoise. I've never baked one before, but there is a recipe in Susan Purdy's The Perfect Cake, which is my go-to cake book. It calls for 1/2 cup of finely ground almonds, pecans, or hazelnuts. Do you think that I could use KAF pecan meal? I have it in the freezer and need to use it up. Also, my food processor is still out of commission, as I wait for Cuisinart to send me a replacement blade.

I'll need to bake the layers tomorrow.

Spread the word
      RiversideLen
      Participant

Right or wrong, I'd be doing it. I have some KAF hazelnut flour, it's just fine ground hazelnuts, I'd use it for your recipe.

KIDPIZZA
        Participant

For a birthday cake at work, I have a request for a Nut Genoise. I’ve never baked one before, but there is a recipe in Susan Purdy’s The Perfect Cake, which is my go-to cake book. It calls for 1/2 cup of finely ground almonds, pecans, or hazelnuts. Do you think that I could use KAF pecan meal? I have it in the freezer and need to use it up. Also, my food processor is still out of commission, as I wait for Cuisinart to send me a replacement blade.

I’ll need to bake the layers tomorrow

BAKER AUNT:
          Good Morning my friend. Yes Marliss I also concur that it is a good choice of substitution. Also Marliss if you have time you can buy some nuts of your choice then toast them somewhat & pulverize them in a BLENDER. OR.. wrap the nuts loosely in plastic wrap after toasting & pound them with a heavy rolling pin.
          What do think of my culinary imagination now??? (LOL) Good luck with your bake I am certain it will be another big hit in the office.

Have a nice day.

~CASS.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Thanks Len and Cass. I'll report back on my baking adventure.

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by BakerAunt.
            Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

The pecan meal I have is a bit coarse, though it works OK in a pie crust, I usually think of a genoise as a fine-textured cake. You have to be careful when grinding nuts and nut meal not to turn it into nut butter.

BakerAunt
              Participant

As noted in this week's baking thread (April 23), I'm not sure I had a success. The two 8-inch cake layers are each 5/8 inch thick. I'm not sure what height they were supposed to be, but I suspect that the batter deflated.

I'm wondering if I need to default to a different cake.

KIDPIZZA
                Participant

As noted in this week’s baking thread (April 23), I’m not sure I had a success. The two 8-inch cake layers are each 5/8 inch thick. I’m not sure what height they were supposed to be, but I suspect that the batter deflated.

I’m wondering if I need to default to a different cake.

BAKER AUNT:
                  I am sorry you had a baking disappointment...or maybe you just think you did. If this is a GENOISE type of cake they are sometimes they are thin layers at times.
                  There are over the internet a few easy recipes for sponge type of cakes. If you would like try again I will let you know of their address.

Enjoy the day.

~CASS

BakerAunt
                  Participant

Cass, I'm going to go ahead and split them and see if they are ok. Mike commented in the baking thread that this may be the height that they are supposed to have. I also looked at some pictures on the internet, which give me hope. I will go ahead and slice the layers, and if they look good, I'll assemble the cake.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

The interior looked like a sponge cake, so I assembled it. I'll report tomorrow after the office party.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

The cake seemed a bit dry to me, in spite of the soaking syrup. The book cautioned not to use more than 3 Tbs. per layer, but with the nuts, maybe a little more would have been better. I used 1 tsp of rum extract in the soaking syrup. That did not have very much taste. I probably should have used regular rum, but I worried about overwhelming the cake.

People liked it, but that may have been the frosting talking. 🙂 I will probably try it again some time, but next time, I will beat the egg-sugar mixer at a higher speed. "Medium high" did not tell me a lot, and my Cuisinart has 12 speeds. I think that I should have beaten it on 8 the entire time. (I started it on six.) I think that I lost some loft when I folded the melted butter into 1 1/2 cups of the batter that I'd moved to a different bowl, per directions, then added it back to the large bowl.

I also wish that I had looked at more internet pictures before I started. It really does help to see what batter is supposed to look like at certain stages.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

For folding in egg white, you probably want fairly stiff peaks (bird's beak) but not dry, because the loft you get from egg whites is minimal if the egg whites are too dry.

I always start out slow, to make sure the egg whites are 'loose', then move it up in several stages all the way up to the highest speed on my KA mixer.

KIDPIZZA
                          Participant

The cake seemed a bit dry to me, in spite of the soaking syrup. The book cautioned not to use more than 3 Tbs. per layer, but with the nuts, maybe a little more would have been better. I used 1 tsp of rum extract in the soaking syrup. That did not have very much taste. I probably should have used regular rum, but I worried about overwhelming the cake.

People liked it, but that may have been the frosting talking. I will probably try it again some time, but next time, I will beat the egg-sugar mixer at a higher speed. “Medium high” did not tell me a lot, and my Cuisinart has 12 speeds. I think that I should have beaten it on 8 the entire time. (I started it on six.) I think that I lost some loft when I folded the melted butter into 1 1/2 cups of the batter that I’d moved to a different bowl, per directions, then added it back to the large bowl.

I also wish that I had looked at more internet pictures before I started. It really does help to see what batter is supposed to look like at certain stages.

NARLISS:
                            Good afternoon. Do not beat yourself up for the outcome of your "FIRST ATTEMPT"
                            on baking a foam type of cake. They are the most difficult type to do properly.
                            Even prof bakers have disappointments every now & then. Very sensitive type of baked product.
                            Narliss, the instructions about the brushing on the layers basically is so to alert the baker not to apply too much because this type of cake structure has a WEAK STRUCTURE & will totally collapse. I think you should just observe when applying same....stop when it is JUST GETTING TO BE SOAKED ENOUGH.
                            I am sure you did a good job of it.

Anyway Marliss, here is a website that I have in my favorites. I re~read this & others to keep learning. I will share it with you my friend. I think I may have others on a U~TUBE style on sponge foam cakes that you would appreciate. I will post to you in ~E~Mail format soon or when I can locate them in my very long list of favorites box.

Till then enjoy the day my friend.

`CASS / KIDPIZZA.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions, Cass and Mike.

Actually, I wasn't beating egg whites. The recipe calls for heating a mixture of six eggs and a cup of sugar in the mixing bowl on top of a pan (double boiler), stirring constantly with a whisk, until it reaches (110-120F). Then the bowl goes onto the mixer, and the egg-sugar mixer is beaten at medium high speed until it reaches the "ribbon stage." While the directions said 3-4 minutes, it was not at that stage at that point, so I increased the speed and beat longer, but I suspect that I was not clear on what ribbon stage should look like. After looking at some pictures later on, I think beating a little longer was likely necessary. I don't know if that mixture could be over beaten or not.

I folded in the flour, then the nuts, a little at a time with a spatula. I wonder if I should have used my cake whisk. It has a flat oval top, with a square criss-cross pattern, and I've used it for adding in whipped egg whites for waffles.

I will try this again, because, hey, I like the challenge, but probably not before we move in June. I'm focusing now on using up a lot of ingredients that would be difficult to move, especially in hotter weather.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

The best way to check for a 'ribbon' stage is to try to drop some of the mix from a spatula. If it forms a wide ribbon (think Christmas ribbon candy), you're there. Pate a choux paste is a recipe that calls for ribbon stage.

I'll have to see if I have that recipe, I have Susan Purdy 'Piece of Cake' book, but she changed the title when she updated it. In general I find her recipes pretty reliable and easy to follow. (I can't say that about some other authors.) I've only made genoise a few times, and I haven't settled on a recipe yet. It's always been a recipe where you fold in egg whites.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

Susan Purdy's recipe was not the issue. It's a great recipe. The cake came out pretty well, in spite of my inexperience and actually seemed better after sitting an additional day in the refrigerator. On my notes to myself, I'm writing down that with my Cuisinart mixer, I should use speed 8, and that I should work toward a wide ribbon.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.