Not Quite Whole Grain Baguette by sbdombro

Home Forums Recipes Not Quite Whole Grain Baguette by sbdombro

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

This recipe was posted by sbdombro, on May 24, 2013 on the now closed King Arthur Baking Circle, who comments that it is "a hearty non-sweet bread." The original poster adapted this recipe from a Mark Bittman one in The New York Times. Sbdombro noted that the original recipe used a food processor, but sbdombro used a Kitchen Aid mixer. The o.p. also mentioned freezing two of the three shaped loaves for later baking. There was a note that heat could be lowered when baking the baguettes to prevent excessive browning.

The recipe I am posting here is what I have written down for me. I'm sorry that I do not have preserved the exact original. I've noted any change that I made by putting them in brackets. I do thank sbdombro for having posted this recipe. It is a favorite.

Not Quite Whole Grain Baguette
      by sbdombro

100 grams rye or whole wheat flour (I used 60 grams whole wheat and 40 grams rye)
      400 grams AP flour (I used KAF)
      2 Tbs. flax meal (I added)
      10 grams Kosher salt (I use regular sea salt)
      6 grams instant yeast (I used active dried yeast)

Optional: 1 clove roasted garlic, squeezed into paste

Note: The poster used a Kitchen Aid Mixer. I find that it works well with the dough cycle of a bread machine.

If using active dried yeast, proof it with 1 1/4 cups water.

Mix together flours and salt. If using instant rather than active yeast, add it as well. Put in bowl with 1 1/4 cup water. and mix with dough hook on #2 speed, mix 2 minutes. With mixer running on 2, drizzle in as much of 1/4 water until dough comes together. Knead on speed 3 for 3 minutes. The dough will be slightly sticky.

[Note: The dough can also be made on the dough cycle of a bread machine.]

Place ball of dough in greased bowl, cover, and let rise 2-3 hours.

If making baguettes, divide into three equal pieces, form into a rough log. Cover and let sit 20 minutes. Shape into baguettes. Place in baguette pans or on floured canvas.

If making a boule, form into ball, and let sit 20 minutes, covered. Shape into boule.

Cover and let rise about 30 minutes.

While dough is rising, pre-heat oven to 465F. [Note: I used 450F.] If you are using a baking stone, pre-heat it with the oven.

Slash loaves and spritz with water. [Note: I usually slash 5 minutes early, so that the bread can recover from the slashing. If your slashing technique is better than mine, then slash right before spritzing and putting into oven.] Bake for 20-30 minutes or to internal temperature of 210F. [Baguettes are usually done in 20 minutes. When I baked a boule in a pan, it took longer, and I took it out of the pan at 25 minutes and baked the last 5 minutes directly on the oven rack.]

Cool completely on rack.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by BakerAunt.
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.