New kneading technique, or have I just missed it

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls New kneading technique, or have I just missed it

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    wonky
    Participant

I found a recipe for dinner rolls (my weakness) that I wanted to try. The recipe was pretty much the same as most other yeast recipes except this part...after kneading for 6 minutes, place in a bowl, cover, let rise til doubled in bulk, return the dough to the mixing bowl, and knead for an additional 6 minutes, let rise again until doubled in bulk. OK...I'll bite. The rolls were excellent, I will definitely make it again, but I didn't see much difference because of the additional kneading. This was an enriched dough with butter, a beaten egg, and additional sugar.

Today, I found another recipe using the same double kneading technique. Is it just me, is this a new technique, or have I just not stumbled on it until now?

Comments?

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I've seen this technique a few times, too, I'm not sure it is better than other techniques.

Some bakers get into specific routines because they work for them, that doesn't mean other routines won't work too.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Hmm--I have known of people who gave their bread two bulk rises before shaping. I've not heard about doing that amount of kneading a second time. I assume that the second kneading is by hand, not machine?

Where are you finding these recipes, Wonky?

skeptic7
          Participant

I have seen recipes that mix the ingredients together just enough to form the dough, let it rise for awhile and then knead. This takes less effort than kneading immediately after mixing the ingredients together, I've never seen a recipe that called for kneading twice.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

A rest just after initial mixing isn't for the yeast, it's for the flour to get better hydrated and for enzymes to get started. It's similar to an autolyze (which is generally done before the yeast is added and sometimes before the salt is added as well.)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.