My Father

Home Forums General Discussions My Father

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    wonky
    Participant

I have not been her for a little while, as my 91 y/o father has recently been admitted to home hospice. He has been failing quite quickly these past 2 weeks, and myself and my siblings have been at his home 24 hours a day. This hospice organization is absolutely amazing, and we are so grateful they are leading us in this journey. He is a WWII veteran, and our local veteran service agency has also been wonderful to work with. This hospice agency offers a special service to these veterans. They encourage the family to invite neighbors and friends for a special service, where they present an Honor Quilt to the Veteran and they do a special 20 minute service, with the presentation of the quilt. They bring a special cake, and Ice Cream to celebrate the service and commitment these Vets made to their country. After Dad has passed, we plan to present this special quilt to my brother who is a Vietnam vet.

There are currently 3 of these quilts being made in the US, and one will be my Dad's. My Mother passed away in 2004, and I miss her every day. I know it will be the same with my Father.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

Wonky what a blessing to have your Daddy so long!Sending prayers for you and your family.We had Hospice with my husbands mother and dad and they were a blessing to us.Praying for a peaceful passing.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Wonky, what a beautiful ceremony and recognition for your veteran father.

Your father and your family are in my prayers.

wonky
          Participant

Sadly my father passed away yesterday, May 29th at the ripe old age of 91. His death was expected, so we were all prepared as much as possible. He had always said "I am not leaving this farm until they carry me out", and that is exactly what happened. He was only bedridden for 3 days, and his passing was peaceful. The hospice organization that we had chosen a few months earlier was absolutely amazing, and we are forever grateful for their wonderful care.

We will hold graveside services this Saturday, which was his wish, with a reception at the local golf course, which was also his wish. His favorite nephew will play and sing all of dad's Polka favorites on his accordion, and we are all looking forward to that. My Dad also played the accordion, mouth organ, and concertina, and entertained all of us siblings (7) grandchildren (27) and great grandchildren (54) for many many years.

Dad will have full military services, and my brother, and BIL will participate (both are Vietnam veterans) in the three gun salute. My dad started going to Memorial Day services at the Cemetery where he is being buried when was discharged from the Army, and has never, ever missed a Memorial day Service, and we as siblings have also never missed a service, although some were at different cemeteries according to where we lived.

We will miss Dad, but we are grateful for having him as our father for so many years.

Rest easy Dad and thank you for being the father you were.

Italiancook
            Participant

Wonky, I send my condolences. I appreciate the veterans in your family, including your dad.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Wonky--Blessings to you and your family.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

It sounds like he had a full life well-lived.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

Wonky -Sorry for your loss and blessings to you and your family.

chocomouse
                    Participant

I'm sorry for your loss Wonky. My thoughts are with you and your siblings.

RiversideLen
                      Participant

My condolences to you and your family, Wonky.

skeptic7
                        Participant

I am sorry about your father. My sincere condolences to you and your family.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.