Making mashed potatoes from roasted potatoes

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) Making mashed potatoes from roasted potatoes

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I won't post a link (since Wall Street Journal links don't work far too often), but the WSJ has a meatloaf and mashed potato recipe that starts by roasting the potatoes in the oven for 40 minutes rather than boiling them. The meatloaf has a tablespoon or so of bourbon in it to give it a smoky flavor and is baked on a sheet pan rather than in a loaf pan, which cuts the cooking time significantly. I may have to try that some time. (Not sure about the bourbon part, though I do occasionally use it to make pecan pie.)

Has anyone ever tried making mashed potatoes by roasting the potatoes rather than boilng them?

Spread the word
      Italiancook
      Participant

Are they calling for roasting the potatoes with the skins on or off?

luvpyrpom
        Participant

I haven't made mashed potatoes from baked tomatoes. I have made sweet potato casserole with baked sweet potato. I think the baked potato will help keep the mashed potato from becoming too gluey from all moisture. I did recently maka a batch of roasted sweet potatoes and threw it into the freezer for a future sweet potato pie.

BakerAunt
          Participant

At my husband's family reunion last October, one cousin's wife made twice baked potatoes. She baked potatoes, then scooped out the potato. It was mashed and mixed with some other ingredients, then scooped back into the potato skins and baked again. They were delicious.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I've had twice baked potatoes, I was wondering if mashed potatoes made this way would have some similarity with twice-baked potatoes for flavor. Recently we've been settling for instant mashed potatoes.

The WSJ recipe keeps the skins on, and then you mash them, so the skins aren't removed. I can't say I'm all that fond of potato skins in my mashed potatoes, though I do like potato skins. When we have baked potatoes, I eat the whole potato, including the skin. But mashed potatoes should be creamy smooth, without lumps or pieces of skin in them--or garlic!

One of these days I want to try making Joel Robuchon's recipe for pommes puree. (As my wife says, well at least they'd be lower in carbs, since there are no carbs in cream and butter.)

BakerAunt
              Participant

I do have a recipe for "muddled potatoes," in which red potatoes are cut up and roasted, then mashed with the skins on. They are not meant to be creamy.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.