Lemon Nut Biscotti

Home Forums Recipes Lemon Nut Biscotti

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I found this recipe for Lemon Walnut Biscotti in an article from Bon Appetit (April 2005), p. 119. The original used walnuts, but I had pecans available, and they work equally well. I have re-written the instructions for clarity and to streamline the process. Standing the biscotti on their edges for the second bake reduces the cooking time by not requiring that they be flipped over halfway through; I reduced the baking time accordingly.

Lemon Nut Biscotti

3 Cups AP flour
      1 tsp. salt
      1 tsp. baking powder
      1/4 tsp baking soda

10 Tbs. unsalted butter (room temperature)
      1 1/3 Cups sugar
      1 1/2 Tbs. finely grated lemon peel (I use zest of two lemons.)
      2 large eggs
      3 Tbs. freshly squeezed lemon juice

3 Cups chopped walnuts or pecans

Glaze:
      1 large egg, beaten to blend
      demerara or raw sugar (Sugar in the Raw)

In medium bowl, whisk together first four ingredients.

In large bowl, beat together butter, sugar, and lemon peel until blended. One at a time, beat in each egg, beating just to blend. Beat in lemon juice, then flour mixture. Stir in nuts.

Divide dough into three pieces. (I weigh it.) Place each piece on a separate piece of saran wrap, and use the saran to help form dough into 8-inch logs. Press logs slightly to flatten to 2 1/2 inch wide logs. Wrap each log separately in saran, and chill until firm--at least three hours or up to three days.

When ready to bake, preheat oven to 325F. Line heavy duty, large rimmed baking sheet (I use a half-sheet pan) with parchment paper. Unwrap logs and transfer to baking sheet, spacing evenly, as they will spread. Brush top of logs with beaten egg. Sprinkle generously with demerara (raw) sugar. Bake until golden brown and just firm to the touch, about 50 minutes. Transfer to rack and cool completely.

Set oven to 300F. Using a serrated knife, carefully cut logs into 1/3 inch slices. (These are very tender.) You can cut them straight (makes more for bake sales) or on the diagonal. Stand half of the slices on their edges on the same large rimmed, parchment-lined baking sheet. (This way, you do not have to turn them over.) Bake until the upper edges are golden, about 20 minutes. Briefly cool, remove to rack, and then bake the other half. Cool completely before storing in air-tight container.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.