Lemon Meringue Pie

Home Forums Baking — Desserts Lemon Meringue Pie

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    skeptic7
    Participant

Does anyone have a good lemon Meringue Pie recipe preferably for Meyer Lemons? There might be one out there already but searching and I don't get along.
      Thanks

Spread the word
      S_Wirth
      Participant

This will take you to some recipes here on this site:

https://mynebraskakitchen.com/wordpress/forums/search/Lemon+Meringue+pie/

Hope they will help you!

BakerAunt
        Participant

My Mom's go-to recipe was the Borden Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk recipe. I went to their site, and I noted that they no longer post a Lemon Meringue--probably because of concern over raw egg whites. My mother always put it briefly under the broiler after she put the meringue on top. I don't know that it made a difference, but no one ever became ill from one of her pies. I probably have the original recipe in one of the old Borden cook booklets, but it is likely already packed for the move. I'll look when I get home from church. Perhaps someone else has it?

I've never been fond of meringue, so I'd probably make this one, but with a lot less whipped cream:

https://www.eaglebrand.com/recipe-detail/lemoncreampie-3977

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by BakerAunt.
          Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

If you make an Italian meringue (stirring hot sugar syrup into the egg whites), that is supposed to cook the egg whites sufficiently, and an Italian meringue weeps less, too.

You can also use powdered egg whites or meringue powder for making meringue that is safe.

rottiedogs
            Participant

I found the below link to Eagle Brand Canada that has the recipe. I have some old Borden cookbooks as well. I didn't have a chance to check and see if they are the same but I will look later tonight.

http://www.eaglebrand.ca/recipes-details.aspx?rid=1628

I also found a recipe booklet that contains the recipe. I downloaded it and saved it as a pdf file. I'm not sure I can post the actual booklet here.

http://archive.lib.msu.edu/DMC/sliker/msuspcsbs_borc_nycondense50/msuspcsbs_borc_nycondense50.pdf

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by rottiedogs.
              S_Wirth
              Participant

Yesterday, after BakerAunt's mention of the Borden booklets, I dug out my old one from 1956...Borden's Eagle Brand, 70 Magic Recipes.

It has many of the same recipes and pictures as the one rottiedogs gave a link for above. The Magic Lemon Meringue Pie is the same in my booklet except the way sugar is written in the meringue section.

My grandma made probably more lemon meringue pies than anyone in our area. She worked in area restaurants thru the years and she made the pies for the restaurants. She made cooked lemon filling and also used the filling for white layer cakes filling. It was a common sight to see her lemon meringue pies at any visit to her house.

Eagle Brand no longer comes in the 15 oz. can, like so many other canned goods today, it has been down-sized.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Yes, it now comes in 14 oz. cans.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

Skeptic7--Did you find a recipe? If not, the February 1998 issue of Bon Appetit featured a recipe in its Cooking Class. I'm trying to sort through my old issues, and I saw it and pulled it out. This one does not use the Borden milk, and it uses powdered sugar in the meringue to help prevent "weeping."If you like, I can try scanning it at work and sending it to you as a PDF. Is your email on Swrith's list?

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

There are so many different ways to make the custard for a lemon meringue pie, one of the simplest might be the microwave lemon curd recipe that KAF put out several years ago, and it works very well with meyer lemons. (I'd cut back on the lemon juice in it for a pie, it's pretty tart.)

Something I've seen done but never tried is adding lemon juice to pastry cream. I think that'd make an interesting lemon meringue pie.

skeptic7
                      Participant

I haven't had time and its been very hot but I hope to be able to bake a pie this weekend. I'm going to try a buttermilk pie crust but with all butter as found in KA 200 anniversary cookbook and the recipe from "As easy as Pie" by Susan G. Purdy. This seems a reasonable recipe with 3 eggs and no milk.
                        My memories of Lemon Meringue pie date from my childhood making it with a lemon pie mix. So dairy seems a strange ingredient, as does recipes using boiling water. So this will be the first time I've tried this from scratch.
                        I found a recipe that called for boiling water, and another one for using a double boiler both of which seems complicated. Why would these techniques be used?

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

The filling in a lemon meringue pie needs to be a custard, pudding, mousse or curd. That means it needs something to thicken it, such as a starch (corn, wheat, tapioca, etc) or egg yolk. I've had dairy-based ones and ones made with no dairy, the latter tend to be more commonplace, I think.

skeptic7
                          Participant

I made my pie. The filling and the meringue were quite tasty, the pie crust was a disaster. It was heavy and solid instead of flakey and light. I think I had too much liquid. It was a little dry when I first mixed it ( 1 1/2 cups flour, 1/2 cup butter and 1/2 cup buttermilk ) so I added a little more buttermilk and placed it in the refrigerator. When I got the pie crust dough out of the refrigerator it was a little too moist and rather stretchy. I rolled it out but it got sticky and hard to handle so I refrigerated it again as a rolled out pie crust between two sheets of wax paper. When I got it out I rolled it some more but then found the wax paper would tear off and had to be carefully removed from the dough in pieces. I formed a nice high pie crust with a rim and baked it at about 375. When I took it out it had slumped into a disk at the bottom of the pie pan and the butter was oozing out the crust and bubbling.
                            I'm not sure whether to give up on the recipe or try again. I've some ideas to try like putting baking powder in the pie crust to keep it from the heavy flatness. Try baking a little longer or at a higher temperature. Push the pie crust over the rim so it can't just collapse when the butter melts. On the other hand it uses a lot of butter.
                            The filling was made in a double boiler, and started with cold water. I think its less likely to scorch than a filling made in a sauce pan, but it also seems to take longer. It came out a nice yellow color and was a nice bright lemon flavor. It used 1/3 cup lemon juice, 1 cup sugar and 6 tablespoons cornstarch and 3 egg yolks. I was surprized it didn't take more lemon juice, and I have enough lemon juice left I could try this recipe again and again and again.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

Some lemon pie fillings are very mildly lemon and some are pretty strong, personally I want one that tastes lemony but doesn't scream "I AM LEMON, HEAR ME ROAR".

I've only tried a buttermilk pie crust once or twice, and I wasn't fond of the results, but if you do try it again, try cutting the buttermilk in half. When you add too much liquid, you encourage gluten to form, and once that happens it won't be flaky. If the dough was stretchy, you had developed your gluten too much.

The epicurious buttermilk pie crust recipe uses more flour and less buttermilk, FWIW.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

I think that I posted my buttermilk pie crust recipe. It does call for whole wheat pastry flour.

Ah, I did:

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by BakerAunt.
                                skeptic7
                                Participant

BakerAunt;
                                  I wish I had read your recipe for buttermilk pie crust before I started. Most of my problem with the pie crust came from thinking it was too dry and adding more buttermilk. Why do you like this recipe? I am on a sort of buttermilk kick for the last year since I found out how easy it was to culture your own buttermilk. I have used it in all sorts of baked goods but the pie crust isn't as easy as quick breads and pancakes. I want to try buttermilk pie crust at least one more time but I dont think its going to be a regular part of my reportor.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.