Kitchen Ranges–Yet Again

Home Forums General Discussions Kitchen Ranges–Yet Again

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Now that it looks like we are finally going to be starting renovation soon, I contacted the person at the store to whom I spoke about the dual range 4 burner Thermador. She told me that the model has been discontinued, but there are still some left. I asked why the model is being discontinued. She said that she will find out, but she thinks the main difference between this model and the new one is "connectivity."

If that means controlling the oven with one's phone, then please, give me the old model.

I also asked about the discontinued model because I'm concerned as to whether Thermador would support its oven, particularly past ten years, which was a problem with my previous one. They had stopped making the control panel, and only because my repair guy knew a place that would work on it was I able to continue using it. Here's what she said, "About parts availability…by today’s standards, 10 years is pretty good. SubZero/Wolf probably would have parts available longer than that of other manufacturers’ just because they are so service oriented. Having said that, there are no guarantees."

Am I the only person who thinks a stove should be serviceable for a LONG time? I don't think it is fiscally responsible to spend so much on an oven when the manufacturer is only thinking in terms of ten years. Indeed, I think that with most appliances and cars. There is also the issue of being environmentally responsible. Now I'm wondering if I need to go back and do more research.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Aside from the fact that I still think many Wolf stoves are ugly, that or Viking would be my first choice if I ever had to replace our 21 year old DCS range. (When we bought it, DCS was just ending its manufacturing relationship with Viking.)

DCS is owned by Fisher & Paykel these days, parts are available but sometimes have to come from New Zealand. My son has a F&P dual wall oven, aside from the fact that it's got several modes I don't understand, it works well. I don't think the 'cold oven start' bread recipes would work in it, though, because it seems to use the upper element during the preheat cycle no matter what mode you use.

SubZero has done a good job keeping parts in stock for our freezer and refrigerator, which is good because the newer models are about 11 inches taller and that'd mean losing the cabinet space above them.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I found a review of the Wolf and the Viking, which seems to indicate they are comparable:

https://www.remodelista.com/posts/remodeling-101-viking-vs-wolf-ranges/

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Wolf is owned by SubZero these days, FWIW.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.