1 cup sugar
      1 cup packed brown sugar
      1 cup shortening
      1 cup canola oil
      1 egg -- beaten
      2 tsps vanilla
      1 tbsp milk
      1 tsp cream of tartar
      1 tbsp salt -- (I use a scant tablespoon)
      1 tsp baking soda
      4 c flour -- spooned lightly into measuring cup and leveled
      12 ozs semisweet chocolate chips -- (12 ounce)

Cream sugars, shortening and oil with an electric mixer for 2 minutes. Add egg, vanilla, and milk and mix until combined. Combine cream of tartar, salt, baking soda, and flour in a small bowl using a whisk. Add this dry mixture to the creamed mixture and mix until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips. It is not necessary to chill the dough. Form into 1 1/2 inch balls and place on parchment lined cookie sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.

Valchemist's notes...

NOTES : Excellent 5 star cookies. They have a crisp slightly crumbly outside and a chewy inside. They stay nice and thick but they are most definitely not cake-like. The taste is interesting and different. I am not sure if it is the cream of tartar or what. Despite the large amount of salt, they aren't too salty. It is just the right balance of flavors. And I didn't miss the butter in these one bit! I find these cookies to be five star due to the excellent texture and different but delicious taste. I haven't made the Nielssen Massey recipe in a LONG time but I think these might taste similar. I think the main difference is that these are thicker and a bit more dense.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.