Irish Oatmeal Bread by Mrs Cindy

Home Forums Recipes Irish Oatmeal Bread by Mrs Cindy

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    rottiedogs
    Participant

Irish Oatmeal Bread
      Submitted by Mrs Cindy on September 03, 2011 at 7:52 pm

DESCRIPTION
      A delightful Oatmeal Bread that is wonderful plain, in sandwiches or toasted with jam!

SUMMARY
      Yield 1 loaf File under oatmeal, steel cut oats, WWW, yeast bread

INGREDIENTS
      See below

INSTRUCTIONS
      1/2 cup Irish Steel-cut Oats
      2 cups milk
      Bring milk and oats to boil. Remove from heat and add:
      1 tsp kosher salt
      2 T butter
      2/3 cup KAF Harvest Grains Blend
      1/4 cup honey or agave nectar
      Cool mixture to room temp. Pour mixture into bread machine. Add:
      1 1/2 cups White Whole Wheat Flour
      1 3/4 cups AP Flour
      1 1/2 T Whole-Grain Bread Improver (KAF)
      1 egg
      3 tsp yeast

Set to dough cycle. Check at 5 minutes. May need to add some water. When dough cycle is complete, remove from bread machine and form into loaf. I use a large Pullman Pan without the lid. It fills the pan. When doubled bake in 375 degree oven for 30-35 minutes until internal temperature is 190 degrees.

comments
      Submitted by dachshundlady on Sun, 2011-09-04 06:58.
      What could I sub for the Harvest Grains Blend? Maybe Bob's Red Mill hot breakfast cereal?
      Submitted by easyquilts on Mon, 2011-09-19 18:17.
      DL.... That's what I did, and it was fine. I used the five grain cereal. But have since bought a twelve grain cereal....which I found while visiting an Amish community in Central Ohio. That's what I'll use next time.
      Sandy from Cincinnati

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

In honor of Mrs. Cindy, I am baking this bread today. As I like my bread less sweet, like regular whole wheat flour, and have no wholegrain bread improver or vital wheat gluten on hand, I have made a few changes. If they work, I will post them here.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 12 months ago by BakerAunt.
        BakerAunt
        Participant

Here is my adaptation of Cindy's Recipe: Irish Oatmeal Bread

She passed away on Saturday, April 15, 2017, the day before Easter. I baked this adaptation in her honor, and in celebration of her life, on Thursday, April 20, 2017.

My changes: I did not have Irish oatmeal, so I used Bob's Red Mill steel cut oats. I like my bread less sweet, so I used only 2 Tbs. of honey. I reduced the yeast to 2 1/4 tsp. I like whole wheat flour, so I used it rather than the white whole wheat. I like to proof my yeast, so I substituted 1/4 cup of water for that much milk. I did not have whole grain improver or vital wheat gluten, so I substituted in 1 cup of bread flour fro the AP flour (Bob's Red Mill Artisan Bread Flour). I changed the mixing instructions to reflect what I do when I use a stand mixer. I also decided to bake it in my hearth bread pan, but it certainly is the correct size for the large pullman pan without the lid, and I may bake it that way next time.

In heavy saucepan, combine milk and oats and heat to boiling, stirring to prevent sticking.
          1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill Steel Cut Oats
          1 3/4 cups 1% milk

Remove from heat and add:
          2 Tbs. unsalted butter
          2/3 cups KAF Harvest Grains Blend
          2 Tbs. honey.

Allow to cool to room temperature. (After it had thickened up a bit, I moved it to my stand mixer bowl.) In the meantime, combine 1 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour with 1 cup of bread flour.

Proof 2 1/4 tsp. yeast in 1/4 cup of water with a bit of sugar. Add to grain mixture and mix with paddle. Add egg, and mix with paddle. Then add the combined wheat and bread flour. Mix with paddle. Remove paddle and allow mixture to sit for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine 1 cup of KAF AP flour with 3/4 tsp. salt. Add to mixture, and use the bread hook (speed 2) to combine. Increase speed to 3 and knead for 5 minutes. (I found that it needed an additional 2 Tbs. of flour, which I added along the way.)

Place in greased bowl and let rise one hour. Turn dough out onto mat, and degas. Form into a large oval, cover with plastic box, and let sit for 10 minutes.

Fold the oval lengthwise and use heel of hand to seal edges. Flatten slightly, then fold lengthwise again and seal edges. Roll into a cylinder, about 12 inches long, making sure to seal the seam. Place seam side down in a Hearth Bread Pan or 13-inch Pullman pan without the lid. Place in plastic box and allow to rise for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375F.

Bake for 35 minutes (195F).

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.