In our back yard today

Home Forums Member News In our back yard today

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

There's a fox family that lives in or near our back yard, one of them has been napping in our pack yard this afternoon.

Fox

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

He feels safe.We see foxes all the time in our backyard too.Love to watch them.

chocomouse
        Participant

We like to watch the young kits play in the yard, just like puppies or kittens, rough and tumble. For a couple years, we had a mother fox who would play with our cocker spaniel, chasing each other around the yard and nearby fields. I was never sure who was the predator and who was the prey!

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I don't know if there is any way to tell the sex of the fox that was napping in our yard from the photo. I've never seen any kits or even more than one fox at a time. I know there's a female present because we hear her at night. (It sounds almost like an injured cat.)

RiversideLen
            Participant

I had fox in the yard about 10 years ago. They were real shy, when they saw me they would take off. In recent years, it's been coyotes.

BakerAunt
              Participant

We frequently had foxes in our neighborhood when we lived in Lubbock. Occasionally, we see them here as well. I've never seen one curled up sleeping, however!

Joan Simpson
                Participant

Mike we've had up to 3 fox in the yard at a time.At night my husband will take left over bones or scraps out to the fence post at corner of yard and in no time you will see them come in,get their treats and go.He feeds feral cats too and we've seen a cat stare down a fox for food.Coyotes are around,saw one run through the yard at night.Once a fox kept taking food and running to the back field so we think she was feeding young ones.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

Given the problems we've had here with raccoons and possums, I'm not planning on taking any food out to feed foxes. We've also stopped putting out bird seed on the deck, in part because of the raccoons and possums, but also because some of the squirrels have started gnawing at the new decking we put in a year ago, which is a composite material, so we're trying to break them of the habit of expecting there to be food available on the deck.

Anyway, there's been at least one fox in our back yard or one of the neighboring yards for several years. This isn't the first time we've seen one sunning in the back yard, and the other day when I took the trash out at 6AM there was one running down the driveway.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Our local squirrel demolished our bird feeder--very disappointing since we enjoyed seeing the different birds.

A friend who lives in London reports that they have lots of foxes in the city. She keeps her cat in at night, after it had a nasty encounter with one.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.