Hummingbird migration fun

Home Forums Member News Hummingbird migration fun

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    S_Wirth
    Participant

Here is a post on a birding forum with two links...they are so busy it is unbelievable. This lady lives in West Central WI. Don't worry that it is on Facebook. I have never had a Facebook account but I read several things every day on Facebook. I just can't post as I have no account.
      ---------
      We've had so much rain this August that all the ditches and fields are still in bloom, so there hasn't been a whole lot of hummingbird traffic at the nectar feeders. However, once in a while, we're inundated with birds. Yesterday and today were pretty busy--I think we went through 21 cups of nectar today! I've got two links from today, posted via Facebook, but public, so you should be able to view them if you want to:

https://www.facebook.com/hazelrunpack/videos/1191635647560726/?l=5169734891872068978

https://www.facebook.com/hazelrunpack/videos/1191643887559902/?l=2642189397470388369

If you get a Sign in box, just keep scrolling up and another larger box may appear but just click Not Now and you should be able to see the hummers. They are so hungry on their big trip south.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

We put the feeders out two weeks ago but I've only seen a hummingbird 3 or 4 times. Maybe they're just heading south later than normal?

S_Wirth
        Participant

This lady had out 10 feeders at the time of the video but in a few days she said she was down to three feeders.

wonky
          Participant

Swirth...how interesting as we live in central Clark County, Wisconsin. And she is right re: the rain. crops are literally fantastic, so I am hoping it starts to dry up so the farmers can harvest the corn and soybeans. Most of the farmers have harvested at least 3 cops of alfalfa, and some have even gotten 4.Trying to keep the lawns mowed is nearly impossible, and it just keeps on growing. We are in September, when the lawns should be slowing down, but most are still mowing three times a week, including us.

I also feed the hummers, but I was taken aback at the amount of nectar she uses. Lately the honey bees have been using the feeders, and that makes it hard for the hummers to feed. Early in the morning is usually the best time for the hummers, as the bees only begin to be a bother a little later when it starts to warm up. I will miss them when they are gone again.

S_Wirth
            Participant

wonky...this lady's name is Judy Lund and she lives in Willard, WI, I think. They live in a forest of some kind that belongs to the gov't. She and her husband are on the town council or something like that and she was very active on getting some sort of pipeline from going thru their property and messing up her bird watching habitat. She has bird banders come to her place often to band various species and they band hummers a lot, too.

Our yard mowing has been a plague this year with the horrendous rains. It takes six hours to mow and string trim it all but we gave up on mowing it all and just go for what folks can see.

I had a hummer feeder just one year and battled our honey bees and yellow jackets constantly. I felt bad not putting a feeder up but we have a 3 acre yard with so many flowering trees and flower beds so they can feast on that. SO good to see you here!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.