Hummingbird Central

Home Forums Member News Hummingbird Central

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

The rubythroat hummingbirds are plentiful this year. We've got about 8 feeders out and looking at them a few minutes ago I think every one of them had at least 2 hummingbirds at it.

Spread the word
      chocomouse
      Participant

Most of our humming birds have headed south, just a few stragglers here now. But in the 2-3 weeks preceding their long journey, they are all busy at the feeders and we have to refill almost daily. It's so sad to see them leave; it means the end of summer. Mike, is the ruby-throat the only variety you have in Nebraska? It's all we have here in Vermont.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Yes, we're in the western band of the rubythroat flyway. There are some other varieties that are seen in Colorado, but we have to be content with the rubythroat.

Depending on when the seasons turns, we could have some here until mid-October. Usually the peak is in mid-September, if this isn't the peak we're going to be really inundated when it get here.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

At one point this morning there were 5 or 6 hummingbirds trying to feed from one of the feeders at the same time. I got some video of 3 hummingbirds trying to feed at that feeder a few minutes later, I'm not sure how to get it off my iphone so I can post it. It's 28 seconds long but about 52 MB, most email engines won't handle files that large.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.