Houston Flooding

Home Forums Member News Houston Flooding

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    skeptic7
    Participant

I wonder if Mrs. Cindy's house was affected by the floods. Is anyone still in contact with her husband?

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I have not been in touch with her husband. Assuming I have her address right, her house is in the 100 year flood plain area, so there's a good chance it's under water.

A former co-worker lives in Houston, the last I heard, 2 days ago, the water was not yet in his house, but was getting close.

BakerAunt
        Participant

A friend and her family (she's one of my former students) live in Houston, as do her parents. I know that in the past, they have not worried about flooding, but this is different from what anyone has experienced there. I had emailed her before the hurricane hit, but I've not heard back.

I have never liked the term "100 year" flood, or drought, or whatever. I can recall in Los Angeles in the 1980s there was the "100-year drought." Then came an even worse one that only began to break last year.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by BakerAunt.
          S_Wirth
          Participant

Long before this mess hit Houston, I was very concerned for Michael, Cindy's husband. Thru the years, when they were to get bad storms, I'd ask her if they would be safe from flooding. She said they were up high and would be OK. But that was not anything like what they have now.

Their house was built on a concrete slab so it would get flooding as soon as water got to it rather than having a crawl space or basement that could take the water before it got the whole house.

They had the huge motor home and I hoped Michael could load it with many belongings and he could tow their vehicle and get to higher ground with at least some of their things.

Cindy's daughter lives in Austin and I thought maybe Michael could go that direction to ride out the flooding but I think Austin was getting heavy floods on the edge of the storm, too.

Monday, the lady that works at the farm store we buy bird seed from told us about her brother that works on the gulf oil rigs and lives in Houston. She said he lives in an older section of Houston and he had power and was up high so no flooding yet. He could not get to work but could work from home, doing his petroleum engineering work. The rigs were all shut down but he still could work. We have not heard if he still came out OK as the conditions worsened as the week went on.

I heard last night on the news that 80% of the homes in this flooded area have no flood insurance. Just a total loss for many...no home, no vehicles, no jobs as businesses are lost.

cwcdesign
            Participant

I checked in with The Saint before the storm hit and he said they would be OK, that they were on higher ground. I haven't heard since, but I have a co-worker whose daughter's FIL had a house in the general vicinity that got flooded. I will check back in over the weekend. He had thought he might have work on Monday (last) ?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.