Heard from Zen

Home Forums Member News Heard from Zen

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    cwcdesign
    Participant

I heard from Zen last night. Her internet is down and has been for a week.
      And I'm going to copy here what she said about her forum.

I'm giving up on the darn forum. Before this last software update they
      had a pretty good track record, but the amount of time that site is down
      is just ridiculous. They don't seem to be able to get a handle on
      whatever is going on. I give up = I guess my only choice is to shut it
      down, but that won't happen for awhile yet due to - you guessed it -
      cleaning and painting and moving, LOL!

She's still working on cleaning her house, HVAC isn't working and it's really, really hot. Other than that she sounds in surprisingly good spirits.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

Interesting. It has never been down when I have gone there. It must depend on the time.

cwcdesign
        Participant

It won't even load on my iPad right now. Haven't been able to get in for a few days. And, it happened last week as well.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Kid Pizza and I have been conversing yesterday and today. Is it an issue with how the iPad connects with it?

luvpyrpom
            Participant

Is Zen's site the one with the address: bakingcircle@prophpbb.com? I've been visiting it daily and posting on it every few days. I use my mini-iPad without any difficulty.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I have not had as much trouble accessing Zen's site since it moved to the new host, but maybe the site owner interface has issues that users don't see.

cwcdesign
                Participant

Just got the message that the server stopped responding

BakerAunt
                  Participant

I was just there--no problem.

The ways of computers are strange.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Cwcdesign:

I have noted that at both this site and Zen's site, one has to sign in again periodically. That occasionally happened with the KAF BC as well. I usually do not realize that I'm not logged in until I try to post, and it tells me that I have to be logged in. It seems to be a period of about 2-3 weeks? I've not timed it.

I'm glad to hear that your son is recovering from that accident. I'm angry that the driver who hit him just drove away without checking to see the extent of his injuries. The law in Texas is that failing to stop and render aid is a felony--whether the driver is at fault or not.

cwcdesign
                      Participant

BakerAunt, if the site would actually load on any of my devices, phone, iPad and laptop, I'd probably need to sign in again to read and post. But since I can't even get to the site, it's a moot point. But thanks, I do notice on Mike's, and did on Zen's, that you need to log back in occasionally.

We're not even sure the driver knows he hit something. There are a lot of older people here who think nothing of getting behind the wheel when they've had too much. The ironic thing is that, as a healthy young man who enjoys a good drink and will overdo sometimes, he has always been very vocal about drinking and driving. If he knows he wants to have a little more one night, he will get an Uber or drink at home. He will take friends' keys away. So he did post a PSA on his FB page with selfies, saying if you drink and drive you could do this to someone. Many of us think that Karma will take care of this person. Thanks for your kind thoughts.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

Traffic has really fallen off at Zen's site. I seem to be about the only person posting, and not a lot of people are reading posts either.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

Traffic here isn't exactly breaking speed records, either. I need to spend more time generating content that draws new people to the site, but I may not have a lot of time for that until after I retire late this calendar year. Our search engine visibility could probably be better, too, though I've tried searching for some stuff and it appears we are in the engines, just not at the top. There are two ways to get towards the top, be a popular site with lots of searches, or buy your way up the list.

I did have someone tell me that the site was easy to find by searching for my name and 'cooking'.

I just hope we haven't lost the core of the old KAFBC for good, regardless of whether that's on Zen's site or mine.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

Does anyone know if Dachshundlady's Facebook site is having similar traffic issues? I don't do Facebook, so I cannot check. I, too, worry that we have lost the core of the BC people, and that has surprised and saddened me. It's not that there were too many places set up--Randy's blog, Zen's site, Dachshundlady's Facebook site, and Nebraska kitchen. Randy closed his blog due to lack of activity, and Zen's site seems to be going the same way. There just does not seem to be the will or the interest in staying together to discuss baking and cooking.

Mike: Is there anything that we regulars can do to encourage traffic?

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by BakerAunt.
                              • This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by BakerAunt.
                              cwcdesign
                              Participant

I haven't been able to get to Zen's site in probably a month because it won't load on any of my devices.

I "visited" with MaryAnn earlier this week and asked about the FB group but didn't get a response. The wedding is Saturday and she's been busy with the pups. I'll ask her again after the wedding.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

Aside from a few times when the host site appeared to be down (including when the site moved to a new ISP), I've never had any problems getting on Zen's site.

As to how to help promote this site, probably the most obvious suggestion is find interesting things involving food, cooking and baking to write about!

To that end, I'm going to take as many notes and photos as I can when I go to Chocolate Boot Camp this fall and I hope to turn those into a series of blog posts.

If you want to help promote the site in other ways, posting a link to it on other cooking/baking sites (as permitted by that site) is good, too.

And here's another possibility. I've had some business cards printed up, if you'd like a handful of them, send me your address. (My email address is nolan at tssi dot com.) It looks like I can get about 15 in an envelope and still keep it under an ounce.

I've been handing them to anyone who asks me what I plan to do after I retire later this year. My wife has been giving them away at her office, and when she loaned someone a book this week, I told her to put a business card in it as a bookmark. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.