Has anybody read this book by Michael Kalanty?

Home Forums Baking โ€” Breads and Rolls Has anybody read this book by Michael Kalanty?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I ran across this book earlier today:

How to Bake Bread
      The Five Families of Bread
      by Michael Kalanty

The five families, for those interested (as I was)
      are:

Lean Doughs
      Sweet Doughs
      Soft Doughs (including pizza)
      Rich Doughs
      Other (such as focaccia and cornbread as well as some pizza variants)

Here's a synopsis of the book: Synopsis

The author has a second book coming out in a few days (How to Bake MORE Bread) that deals with wild yeast breads.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I have a lot of bread books, a number of which are still packed, but this book is not among them. (My husband would say, "You mean that there is a bread book that you DON'T own?) ๐Ÿ™‚ Are you planning to buy this one, Mike?

Lately, I've been paging through Breaking Bread: A Baker's Journey Home in 75 Recipes, by Martin Philip, Head Baker at KAF. The recipes are somewhat daunting, although I enjoy the memoir part. I may try his Ginger Scones, but the cinnamon and coriander, are not going to be "freshly ground," although I can and will pull off freshly ground cloves and smashed cardamom.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I haven't decided yet. I'd sort of like to thumb through the book, but it isn't one that Amazon offers a peek at. It's a 500+ page book that is used as a text by several baking schools, I've already got 2 or 3 books like that.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.