Happy Birthday BakerAunt

Home Forums General Discussions Happy Birthday BakerAunt

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    S_Wirth
    Participant

Sending best wishes your way for a wonderful day of celebration, BakerAunt...Happy Birthday!!

Spread the word
      chocomouse
      Participant

Happy Birthday! Is your trip a part of your birthday package? Enjoy.

RiversideLen
        Participant

Happy Birthday Baker Aunt!

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Yes, happy birthday!

Italiancook
            Participant

Happy Birthday, BakerAunt!

BakerAunt
              Participant

Many thanks for the good wishes! Some friends were in town, so after church, we went out to a late lunch at Guppy's, a restaurant in Indian Rocks Beach. I had a wonderful shrimp pasta with artichokes, sundried tomatoes, and asiago cheese, served with steamed green beans and almonds on the side. I also had the award winning Key Lime Pie, which was delicious, even though my husband reminds me that key limes were wiped out many years ago. The waiter served it to me with a birthday candle. It's been a rainy afternoon and evening, so there was no beach walking. I curled up with a mug of tea and finished reading Dashiell Hammett's The Thin Man. (If you are a mystery fan and have never read it, do so.)

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I don't see anything on wiki about key limes having been wiped out.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

Happy Birthday BakerAunt sounds like it was a great one!

cwcdesign
                    Participant

Happy Birthday, Baker Aunt - sounds like a great day.

As far as I know, key limes are seasonal and you can buy bottled key lime juice - Nellie & Joe’s being probably the best brand.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

Here's an article on key limes:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/05/are-key-limes-worth-the-price.html#comments-227075

What I should have said is that key limes are NOT grown in Florida anymore.

Or perhaps I should say that very few key limes are grown in Florida:

http://www.foodreference.com/html/artkeylimes.html

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by BakerAunt.
                        aaronatthedoublef
                        Participant

Happy birthday BA!

cwcdesign
                          Participant

Thanks for the articles BA. Very informative. Since I’m a New Englander, I’ve always been happy with the Nellie & Joe’s and I do know that a real key lime pie is more yellow - if it’s a green pie, I stay away.

I also may look for the Texan and Californian limes during season just to check them out. I’m also glad to know that I’m not the only one who dislikes the Little rocks.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by cwcdesign.
                            luvpyrpom
                            Participant

A belated Happy Birthday to Bakeraunt! Sounds like you had a great day. I haven't tried any Key Lime Pie (I think it's because I know there's dairy in it) I recently made lemon bars and then tried to make lime bars by substitution.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.