German Donuts and Quark Thread

Home Forums Threads Saved from the KAF Baking Circle German Donuts and Quark Thread

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

German donuts

I wonder if anyone here can help me. I saw a donut that my grandmother in Germany made for me many years ago and I had forgotten all about them until I saw them on you tube. One video called them Krapfen backen and another called them Kucheln. They are round pieces of dough stretched in a circle so it is thinner in the center. They were dropped in a frying pan with oil, and the center popped up, cooked till golden then turned over till the other side was golden. When removed they were placed on a paper towel and covered with powdered sugar. Very simple but delicious. If anyone knows what they are called in English or has a recipe I would love to have it. All the recipes I found on you tube or google were in German, and my German is not so good anymore. Thanks for any help.
      posted by: buttercup on October 04, 2015 at 7:22 pm in Q & A

reply by: dachshundlady on October 04, 2015 at 7:27 pm
      Were they yeast or quick risen?

reply by: swirth on October 04, 2015 at 9:15 pm
      buttercup...take a look at these...they are also from Germany and the story about thin in the middle sounds just like you speak of:
      -
      http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art180651.asp
      -
      Scroll way down, it has a recipe and is a long article.

reply by: buttercup on October 04, 2015 at 11:16 pm
      Oh boy, I replied to DL about 3 hrs. ago. I guess I must have missed hitting the submit button. Yes I found the name Auszogne and a recipe, on you tube. The written recipe was supposed to be on her blog, but I couldn't find it. In the directions she added "curt", not sure what that is but it looked like sour cream. I'm sure I can find the translation on a German site.
      Swirth, I also found the same link you did, thank you for posting it because I didn't bookmark it. I want to try them soon because they bring back good memories of my grandmother making them for me in Germany. Thanks for your help ladies.

reply by: dachshundlady on October 05, 2015 at 8:23 am
      My mom used to make "dough bellies" but they weren't as thin in the middle. And on reading that article I never knew that there are Catholic "donuts" and Protestant ones.

reply by: RonB on October 05, 2015 at 9:02 am
      As to the difference between catholic and protestant donuts - obviously, some are "holier" than others...
      Ron (running for cover)

reply by: dachshundlady on October 05, 2015 at 3:42 pm
      You better run buddy.

reply by: buttercup on October 05, 2015 at 6:56 pm
      Good one RonB. lol

reply by: cwcdesign on October 05, 2015 at 10:06 pm
      He's baaack - LOL!

reply by: Mrs Cindy on October 07, 2015 at 3:51 pm
      Duck, Ron! Duck! Incoming donut holes........
      ~Cindy

reply by: dachshundlady on October 07, 2015 at 6:09 pm
      Hahahaha!

reply by: bakeraunt on October 07, 2015 at 6:58 pm
      Now I'm wondering what "kurt" is. It's not in my German-English dictionary. I looked up cream, and that is Sahne. I couldn't find a word for sour cream. I probably need a German-English dictionary more geared to baking and food!

reply by: RonB on October 07, 2015 at 7:42 pm

reply by: bonitabarbSD on October 12, 2015 at 2:36 pm
      This is a reply about the word "kurt or curt" in the video. Could it be that the speaker said the word spelled "curd or kurd" since a "d" at the end of a German word sounds like a "t"? It has been a very long time since I studied German, and I don't use it in Southern California!

reply by: bakeraunt on October 12, 2015 at 2:45 pm
      I thought of that too, but the online German dictionary defines Kurds as the Iranian/Afghan ethnic group.
      #
      I tried Kurt, which came up with an umlaut, but it means to select or choose.

reply by: buttercup on October 12, 2015 at 6:27 pm

The video shows "curt" in the ingredients and shows the word on screen. This is the video.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsCstkmINco&list=LLx-bKW0YUk7n9QBzB5xmqWA&index=3. I hope this long address will work.

reply by: buttercup on October 12, 2015 at 6:29 pm

If the above does not work try putting this in the search on you tube
      How to make Bavarian Donuts//Auszogne
      I'm not the greatest at transferring videos so I hope this will work. Thanks for all your help.

reply by: bakeraunt on October 12, 2015 at 6:41 pm
      I think we need a culinary German to English dictionary. "Curt" is not coming up as a German word. Maybe it's British curded cheese?

reply by: JennC13 on October 26, 2015 at 5:07 pm
      Could the word actually be "Quark"? This is a German cheese similar to "farmers cheese". My BIL is from Germany, and he asked me to make a German cheesecake, and this is what they make it with. I have seen quark locally, but it is not easy to find.

reply by: omaria on October 26, 2015 at 7:25 pm
      They might use something like cottage cheese. Jenn, in Holland they also make "kwark taart' And my friend from Holland who came to visit me here could not find anything that came close. In my personal recipes here I do have a recipe to make it. I will look for it and let you know.
      Ok. there are 2 recipes. One made with yoghurt culture and one with buttermilk. On the top of this page type in ancameni . Go to her page and on the first page of her recipes is the one for yoghurt quark and on the 2nd page is the one made with buttermilk

[uploader's note: these recipes are here on the Nebraska kitchen site--search by ancameni]

reply by: buttercup on October 28, 2015 at 10:58 am
      JennC13, you could be on to something. She did spell the word "curt" but it did look like sour cream or maybe quark, I do have a place that sells that. I also have found some other recipes but have not made them yet, dealing with some health issues and not baking much. Thanks for your reply.

reply by: buttercup on February 09, 2016 at 6:56 pm
      I think I just found the answer to my question about "curt/kurt" that I saw in a you tube video for the German donuts. I was looking through my weekly Shop Rite flyer and saw a coupon for Elli Quark.
      Elli Quark is a spoonable FRESH CHEESE with a creamy texture similar to Greek yogurt, but with a richer, LESS SOUR taste. It also has a better protein-to-carb ratio than Greek yogurt, with HIGH PROTEIN and NO ADDED SUGARS or artificial sweeteners.
      I think the puzzle is solved. YEAH

reply by: chiara on February 24, 2016 at 11:05 pm
      Except "quark" is pronounced "kvark" in German and in English. I have never heard it pronounced any other way. I watched the video. The recipe calls for "2 tbs. curt" The only ingredient that she adds in that is not in the recipe is melted butter. So clearly, it is 2 tbs. melted butter. Don't know why the recipe shows it as "curt".

reply by: buttercup on February 26, 2016 at 9:16 am
      Not sure which video your referring to but I am questioning what "curt" is. She adds 1 tablespoon at the end of the recipe and I think what she is adding is Quark. Many people have asked her what "curt" is but it's an older video and she never answered the question.

reply by: frick on February 26, 2016 at 8:54 pm
      All this discussion aroused my curiosity. I watched the video and she did not have butter on the list of ingredients but the white product she spooned in later looked just like sour cream. Good luck.

Quark
      reply by: swirth on May 19, 2016 at 7:47 pm
      ancameni was from Germany and that is why I wanted her recipes saved...she never posted much, if at all, after the switch to the newBC. She (Alex Spurgeon) attended the BC Gathering in Kansas City with Susan Reid, Bryan Carmaneti (sp), Mike Nolan, Sarahh, wingboy and wife, Jan, and Bryan's daughter Melissa.
      -
      http://bakingcirclefriends.blogspot.com/2009/10/kc-kaf-gathering.html

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.