Fruit Cake

Home Forums General Discussions Fruit Cake

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Wendy
    Participant

Hi everyone, I know a lot of people don’t like fruit cake. A few years ago I stopped at a church bake sale and I bought a few slices of fruit cake. I have to say it was very good. It didn’t have any citrus fruit in it (at least I didn’t see any). I did see raisins, dates, nuts, apples and I don’t know what else. The lady that had made it wasn’t there so I couldn’t ask her about her recipe. Does anyone have a good fruit cake recipe that is moist and just a good tasting that they would be willing to share. Thanks in advance and wishing everyone a wonderful Thanksgiving.
      Wendy

Spread the word
      BevM
      Participant

I have a fruitcake recipe that is moist and delicious, in my opinion. It was given to me by a neighbor long ago who came from England. The cake is made with mincemeat,nuts, candied fruit of your choice ( I don't care for the Citron). After it is baked, I soak with a little Brandy or rum, wrap and allow to age for a couple of weeks. If you are interested I could look up the recipe for you.
        Bev

Wendy
        Participant

Thank you Bev for sharing your recipe. Whenever you have time that is fine. Have a Happy Thanksgiving.
          Wendy

BevM
          Participant

Wendy, here is the recipe for the Fruitcake.

Grease and line a tube pan. I use an angel food cake pan with a removable bottom.
            Mix together 2 eggs
            1 28 oz. Jar Borden's mincemeat
            1 15 oz. Can eagle brand sweetened condensed milk
            1 cup chopped nuts
            1 cup mixed raisins and currants
            1 cup mixed candied fruit (cherries, pineapple,dates, etc.)
            Fold in 2-1/2 cups flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda.
            At this point, I garnish with pecan halves and cherry halves.
            Bake at 300 degrees for 2 hours. Cool till just warm and brush with your choice of liquor,if desired. I then wrap it tightly in foil and store it in a cool dark place for a couple of weeks.

This is easy to make and stays moist till it's gone! I hope you will enjoy it. If you have questions, let me know.
            Bev

Wendy
            Participant

Thanks for sharing your recipe. Sound good, I’m going to make it.

BakerAunt
              Participant

I have a recipe for Bischofsbrot--translation is Bishop's Bread--which has regular raisins, golden raisins, currents, whole maraschino cherries, walnuts or pecans, and chocolate chips. The idea is for slices to be like a stained glass window. It's not really a traditional fruit cake, so it is not overly moist. It's been a while since I baked it, but I think that I will bake it in the Christmas season.

Wendy
                Participant

That Bishop Bread sounds very interesting. I’m going to google it.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

I have now posted my Bishofsbrot recipe in the recipe section. Enjoy!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.