Friday is National Donut Day

Home Forums General Discussions Friday is National Donut Day

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

This Friday, the 1st Friday in June, is National Donut Day.

Spread the word
      chocomouse
      Participant

Perfect timing! We'll be in Maine, and there is a new Krispy Kreme about a mile up the road from our campground. I'll get a dozen raspberry filled - yummy. I don't make donuts (I don't like donuts, except for fresh Krispy Kremes) but if you like a basic donut, my husband says the KAF recipe for Doughnut Muffins makes a decent imitation.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I've made that donut muffins recipe several times, I make them in a mini-muffin pan so they're almost like donut holes. It's a good recipe, but you need to be careful with the nutmeg. It needs a little, but not too much.

I've never thought Krispy Kreme was worth the fuss, or the carbs. And forget Dunkin Donuts, even though they opened one just a few blocks from us, they don't even make them on-site any more.,

LaMars makes a really good cake donut, but my wife prefers their glazed raised.

BakerAunt
          Participant

I don't fry doughnuts, so I have to stick to baked ones if I'm to make them.

We like the KAF Apple Cider Baked Doughnuts with Maple Glaze. However, I don't have any applesauce.
            I recall that Aaron mentioned KAF's Baked Doughnuts Three Ways, so I might try that recipe, perhaps with cinnamon sugar. Crumb coating would be my favorite, but I'm not sure how to do it.

I don't recommend the KAF Maple Doughnuts. They are only so-so.

chocomouse
            Participant

I don't eat donuts, and never have = they go straight to the pit of my stomach and sit there, for days. However, a friend is obsessed with Krispy Kreme, so one day I broke down and tried one, a lemon filled. Light and airy, not heavy, not greasy. I've learned that some KKs put in more filling, and that is good. Some KKs put on a thicker layer of glaze, and that is not good. The nearest KK to me is about four hours away. I eat them three times a year, when I'm traveling. I'll be in big trouble is one should open in this area.

Mike - you're right about the mini-muffins! They are very much like a donut hole, and that is how I make them, too. It's been several years, or more; I think my husband would be happy if this discussion nudged me to make them again, soon.

Italiancook
              Participant

The donuts of my childhood were Krispy Kreme. The cream filled with powdered sugar topping. I didn't know they have other fillings until I read these posts. I can buy KK's in the store, but there's no bakery near me. I try to avoid the KK display in the store.

Dunkin Donuts has made product changes. I used to buy their cinnamon/sugar covered cake donuts, but I was told they're no longer making them.

My dad made doughnuts once when I was growing up. The recipe made many more than he anticipated. He had so many that he went up and down the street looking for neighbors to take the excess. He never made them again. My guess is it was also more work than he had anticipated.

If I have all the ingredients, I'll try KAF Doughnut Muffins of Friday to celebrate the day.

BakerAunt
                Participant

I have two doughnut memories. One was my father picking them up at Krispy Kreme for us on Sunday mornings for breakfast before church. The other is of my uncle, who had a doughnut delivery route in Memphis but her often gifted his nieces and nephews visiting their grandmother for the summer with doughnuts. I have a third memory of buying those little packages of Hostess crumb doughnuts (or occasionally powdered sugar) during my graduate school days.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I remember my sister making donuts a few times, but we don't have a deep fat fryer, and it seems like so much work when LaMars is only a few miles away and makes far better donuts than I could hope to.

Italiancook
                    Participant

Thanks, chocomouse, for mentioning the KAF Doughnut Muffins. I celebrated Donut Day by making them. We enjoyed the nutmeg in them, although it was time-consuming to grate a teaspoon of nutmeg. The recipe calls for up to 1-1/4 teaspoon nutmeg. I may try that next time.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

The Microplane folks make a nutmeg grinder, it's kind of egg-shaped, half of it is for storing whole nutmegs the other half is for the grated nutmeg. Just don't drop it on the floor, it's a little fragile compared to most Microplane products.

Italiancook
                        Participant

Mike, I was all over the internet, including Microplane's website, and I can't find a nutmeg grinder by Microplane. I found the William Bounds Nutmeg Grinder at Williams-Sonoma (see link).https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/nutmeg-grinder/?pkey=e%7Cnutmeg%2Bgrinder%7C95%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C24%7C%7C1&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH#reviews Thanks, Mike.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by Italiancook.
                          • This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by Italiancook.
                          Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

I couldn't find it either, I guess it's been discontinued. I found it at a store in Ottawa CA several years ago. I also saw it at an outlet mall in Iowa a few years ago, but I haven't looked for it lately.

RiversideLen
                            Participant

No donuts for me today, I'm trying to cut back on sugar for a while.

Italian Cook, Amazon has a Microplane Specialty Spice Mill, they have nutmeg shown in the photo, maybe this is what you're looking for.

https://www.amazon.com/Microplane-Specialty-Spice-Mill-Black/dp/B0774YQJZ2/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1527902780&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=microplane+nutmeg+grater+with+storage

"Effortlessly grinds whole nutmeg and sticks of cinnamon for the most flavorful and aromatic results when cooking and baking
                              Convenient airtight storage in top that keeps spices fresh for years
                              Grinds hard spices like cinnamon and nutmeg........"

• This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by RiversideLen.
                              Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

This may bring up a picture of the one I have, one half is black the other half is clear:

https://www.google.com/search?q=microplane+nutmeg+picture&client=firefox-b-1-ab&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=3dqwJ5lW6QccrM%253A%252CTQJAkX9I-KGLeM%252C_&usg=__ZzWL2Y1vRIAmvbZzeoA0hzaqrY4%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiglMTM7bPbAhWT3oMKHc7SAkkQ9QEILTAB#imgrc=3dqwJ5lW6QccrM:

I'm guessing it broke too easily, I know mine has a few cracks where the two halves go together.

Too bad, it is much easier to use than the other nutmeg grinders I've used.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by Mike Nolan.
                                BakerAunt
                                Participant

I had some kind of nutmeg grinder that I bought from KAF. It broke.

I just use my microplane rasp--the same one I use for quick grates of Parmesan or lemon peel.

One thing to remember when using freshly grated nutmeg: it is not as compact as the powdered nutmeg sold in jars, so you may need to squish it down in the measuring spoon.

I didn't make doughnuts today either, as I still have Millet Scones.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.