Flavored Pie Doughs

Home Forums Baking — Desserts Flavored Pie Doughs

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Erin McDowell has an interesting post on the KAF Blog on Flavored Pie Doughs. These recipes are apparently out of her forthcoming book.

I've made Rose Levy Beranbaum's cream cheese pie dough a couple of times, I prefer the all-butter pie dough I learned at SFBI.

But the peanut-butter one sounds interesting.

I've made chocolate pate sucree a few times, it makes great tarts. I've also used it as the crust on a New York Style Cheescake a couple of times.

The sable breton dough we made at SFBI makes fantastic tarts, but is a bit tricky to work with because it's so soft. That's what I used for the tarts in the picture at the bottom of the page.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

The blog post is interesting. I've moved away from using KAF AP flour in my pie crusts. I think that I get better results with Gold Medal, or using some pastry flour. I wonder how the peanut butter crust would go with a chocolate pie filling or maybe a banana one.

The "Light-as-Air Lime Pie" in the KAF Whole Grain Baking Book (pp. 469-471) features lime juice in the crust as well as in the pie. I've not made it and only thought of it, as I've been combing through that cookbook lately and remember seeing it.

I have a recipe for a cornmeal pie crust that was featured, probably by the L.A. Times, with a pumpkin pie. I used that crust with a hamburger meat pie, but I haven't made it in years, since my husband is not fond of ground beef.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I buy KAF's pastry flour, otherwise I'd probably use Gold Medal unbleached flour as well (I keep it in the freezer until I open the bag.) I've tried whole wheat pastry flour (the only pastry flour I can find in local stores) in a pie crust a few times, didn't care for it.

The black cocoa sounded interesting, that may be on my KAF wish list. I bought some lemon powder from them a while back, I used it in the frosting for the Eclipse cookies I made in August.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.