First Clear flour

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls First Clear flour

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I've made several breads with first clear flour since I brought home a 50 pound bag of it. I can't say I've noticed a huge difference in taste or texture, though the interior of the Vienna bread (and probably any 'white' bread) is kind of a dusty off-white.

What I have noticed though, is that the breads I've made with first clear flour seem to go moldy faster. Maybe it's just that time of year?

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I have had that issue with rye breads baked with first clear flour. I attributed it to warm weather and perhaps the rye flour, so I have avoided baking rye breads in warmer weather--which was a long span of time when we lived in Texas. In Indiana, the humidity is higher in hot weather, so I've continued to avoid rye breads in summer. However, when I started adding some rye to other breads, even in summer, there did not seem to be a mold issue unless the bread was kept too long. My husband actually left a slice of that Bernard Clayton Dark Grains Bread, and I found it after a week, but it had only just started to mold. The rye made up a small proportion of the flour in these various recipes, but perhaps I was too hasty in blaming the rye flour.

At this point I would still suspect the warmer weather as the deciding factor, but it will be an interesting experiment with the first clear flour when the weather gets cooler.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by BakerAunt.
        • This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by BakerAunt.
        Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I'm making another batch of Vienna bread with first clear flour today. I'll make 2 loaves and put 1 1/2 of them in the freezer, so it'll take several weeks to see if there's any pattern on how fast it molds.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.