Fine Cooking Favorite Baking Books

Home Forums General Discussions Fine Cooking Favorite Baking Books

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    cwcdesign
    Participant

Thought you all might be interested in this list of baking books. In this list, only one includes savory along with the sweet. They have done lists of bread baking books in the past. Curious if any one has used any of these

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I've read some of Stella Parks's columns at Serious Eats. However, she likes to use coconut oil, a lot, and it is not an ingredient that I have or plan to have. She is also the one who used sugar to line the crust to blind bake a pie crust. Aaron tried that but felt it to be a serious waste of sugar. I would have to look carefully through the book to see if there were enough recipes worth my buying it.

The only book on the list that I own is Dorie Greenspan's Dorie's Cookies. I've not baked from it yet, in part because a couple of recipes I wanted to make call for Wolf's medium kasha, which I cannot find in stores here and would have to order. Now that Cwcdesign has reminded me of the book, I will see if I can bake some other recipes from it and report back.

I think that these lists tend to be recent cookbooks that they are pushing. They may have made the best-sellers list, but a lot of such cookbooks sit around on coffee tables for the pictures.

aaronatthedoublef
        Participant

I love Ottolenghi's cookbooks. They are great reads in addition to having some fantastic recipes.

We have two and while they were gifts they would have been worth the price just for the pictures and stories. He likes lots of ingredients, usually in the form of spices.

I have had a crush on Dorie Greenspan for years. I have a chocolate cookbook the she wrote with Pierre Herme' that I used to use quite a bit but not so much recently (although I've a rekindled interest in pate choux). I also have the first cookbook she wrote for herself which is a fun read but nothing earth shattering in terms of original recipes.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Yeah, the fact that there are links to buy the books is sort of a hint that the page is mostly a marketing ploy.

I've bought 3 books lately, the Pfeiffer baking book, the CIA textbook for cooks and a book by CIA on healthy cooking for home cooks (which is still in transit.)

cwcdesign
            Participant

I know there are links, but I do think it’s basically an old-fashioned book review since there are comments why they like the books - in the old days they’d give you the price and publisher so you could find it at the bookstore.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.