Eclipse Cookies

Home Forums Baking — Desserts Eclipse Cookies

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I'm thinking of making Eclipse Cookies for next Monday, the 21st, probably using a sugar cookie dough and a chocolate cookie dough and then making disks showing the progression of the (chocolate) moon across the (sugar) sun. Most likely I'll use the mushroom cookie dough I have posted and a specific sugar cookie dough my wife likes, if she can find the recipe. (It's out of a romance novel, believe it or not.) See Christmas Cookie Recipe

We get about 1:24 of total eclipse here, and the current forecast is for a sunny day. The newspaper says hotel rooms in Lincoln sold out weeks ago, and a friend who is traveling, coincidentally along the path of the eclipse, said a Motel Six she contacted wanted $1000 for one night! Most of the schools, including the University of Nebraska, where the 21st is the first day of classes for the fall semester, are planning to let students out of classes during the eclipse and have some special events planned.

Spread the word
      aaronatthedoublef
      Participant

Krispy Kreme has announced they will be selling chocolate glazed doughnuts for the first time ever next Monday - Eclipse doughnuts!

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Here's a story on them:Eclipse Donuts

That's not quite enough to get me to Krispy Kreme, since we also have LaMar's Donuts, and it's closer.

When we were in Portland Oregon in July, we stopped at Voodoo Donuts (though the locals now prefer Blue Star), we thought LaMar's were better, though Voodoo may have them beat on 'interesting' combinations of flavors. However, when we stopped at a motel in Tacoma the next night and were bringing in our stuff, the front desk staff went crazy when they saw the Voodoo box, so we gave them a few of the ones we had left.

cwcdesign
          Participant

I might have to make my chocolate pudding cake which is called Eclipse cake - at least that's what Mollie Katzen calls it

I didn't realize until this past week that we are in the 80% zone - now the scramble is on to find glasses. However, one neighbor told me that you can look at the horizon and see the progression of light clearly. Since I'll be working at the Lighthouse, that will be a great opportunity

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Our first test batch is out. We tried a few different methods, in the next batch we will be baking the sun and various degrees of eclipsing moon cookies separately, gluing them together with some yellow lemon icing. (I have some KAF powdered lemon extract that works very well for this.) That has the advantage that we can do a tray of one then a tray of the other, the sugar cookie recipe we're using gets soft really fast. My wife also wants to try dipping the chocolate cookies in icing to create the eclipse effect, I'm skeptical of that.

We're tried a fluted round cookie cutter for the first batch of suns, but the flutings are so small that you can't really see them under the icing, so we're going to try some scalloped edge cookies in the next batch.

I'll try to include some photos later today.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

Be VERY careful looking at the eclipse on Monday, there's a story in today's Lincoln paper about someone who used a welder's helmet during a partial eclipse in 1963 and suffered some permanent vision loss.

Even with ISO-certified glasses, limit the time you're viewing it. I have a 100K solar filter for my camera, I did some test shots today, it looks it'll do a pretty good job showing the progress of the eclipse. I'll take the filter off for some shots during totality, which will last about 80 seconds here.

Of course this all assumes the weather cooperates on Monday. Our current forecast is 'partly cloudy'.

S_Wirth
                Participant

Not that many here would use a welder's helmet for eclipse viewing, but our local TV experts say the welder's glass must be # 14.

They also say look thru the eclipse glasses no more than three minutes then look away for awhile before looking thru the glasses again. I wouldn't trust the flimsy glasses at all because if they have any scratches on them or other issues they will not protect the eyes. I've seen on TV the many thousands of the glasses being passed out by the sellers or those giving them away and they are quite rough handling them.

We'll just stay in and watch all the events on TV. I have to be outside some of the time but will not be out during the nearly three hours of the whole thing.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

They were selling giant eclipse cookies at the grocery store, just a big circular cookie with chocolate covering like 7/8 of it.

I wish I'd thought of these a few weeks ago, I might have entered them in the 'sandwich cookie' category at the Lancaster County Fair.

BakerAunt
                    Participant
                      Italiancook
                      Participant

If you have time & haven't eaten/given away all your eclipse cookies, please post a picture. I'm curious.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

Yesterday was our test day, today was production day, I baked 5 pans full of cookies and one partial. Assembly is next, then I'll take and post some good pictures. We did take a plate of cookies across the street to our new neighbors who have 3 young kids (the oldest girl is 11, about the age of our granddaughter.)

Most of the cookies will be going in to my wife's office in the morning. Some will be in her office for faculty and staff, the rest will be on the snack table that they set up every fall to welcome students back on the first day of classes.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

I tried to find my sun cookie cutters without success. They are probably among the boxes in the storage shed. I then decided to bake the Soft Barley Sugar Cookies in KAF's Whole Grain Baking. Instead of white coarse sugar, I'll use yellow coarse sugar. That will make a sun, and taking a bite will make an eclipse of sorts (except that the eaten part will not be coming back).

• This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by BakerAunt.
                            Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

Here are some pictures of the assembled cookies. I added a link to the sugar cookie recipe we used to the lead post in this thread.

Eclipse Cookies 1

Eclipse Cookies 2

Eclipse Cookies 3

Italiancook
                              Participant

Mike, the creativity in your eclipse cookies is fantastic! They look delicious, too. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

cwcdesign
                                Participant

Mike, they look beautiful!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.