Deciding on When Less Vanilla is Needed

Home Forums General Discussions Deciding on When Less Vanilla is Needed

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

With the vanilla shortage, I've been thinking about how best to make my stash last for at least the next two years. Thus, lately, I have been questioning some vanilla amounts in recipes--and not just King Arthur recipes, where they tend to frontload the ingredients. In the Baking thread this week, I mention a gingerbread biscotti recipe that called for 2 tsp. of vanilla, which I reduced this time to 1 tsp.

If vanilla is not a main flavor, and other flavors are supposed to be accented instead, does it make sense to consider using less vanilla, or sometimes none at all? Has anyone else cut back on vanilla usage? How do you decide whether to use less or none?

Spread the word
      chocomouse
      Participant

I've cut back, and no longer use any vanilla in chocolate flavored goods. I do use espresso powder, which enhances the taste. I didn't put any vanilla in the peanut butter cookies I made the other day, and they were fine. I can't remember off-hand what other recipes I omit the vanilla. But basically, I think about the other ingredients - are there flavors that would overpower the vanilla? Or is the vanilla necessary for developing the flavor? So far, it seems like my choices have been OK, and we haven't missed the vanilla.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.