Crockpot

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    skeptic7
    Participant

I have been looking at recipes for yeast breads baked in a crock pot. Has anyone done this? Has anyone done this with all whole wheat recipes. It looks interesting especially if the hot weather returns.

Spread the word
      BevM
      Participant

That sounds like a good concept. I hope it has been a success for someone. It is generally too hot here for about 6 months out of the year to turn on the oven! A couple of Thanksgivings I put my dressing in the Crock-Pot ( not enough room in the oven) and it turned out fine, maybe a little more moist than the oven!

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I don't see any reason why whole wheat recipes wouldn't work if recipes using white flour work in a crock pot. The baking temperature and times are usually about the same.

BakerAunt
          Participant

I remember that Dachshundlady, from the KAF Baking Circle, bought a cake pan that would fit in her crock pot. I don't recall if she ever shared on the site that she did use it to bake in the crock pot.

skeptic7
            Participant

I tried it last night. I couldn't sleep so I was doing this late at night. I have one of the Rival Crock Pot Bread and Cake Pans. This is a gold pan about 6 inches in diameter with a locking lid to keep water from dripping into the pan and a knob that allows the filled pan to be easily removed.
              I more or less followed the following directions https://www.wellplated.com/crock-pot-bread/

I mixed everything together except I was using regular vegetable oil, one big tablespoon of honey, and 1 teaspoon of yeast, and 2 tablespoons of potato flour. I let the dough sit for awhile, maybe half an hour or more and then kneaded it. It was sticky and moist so I added the little whole wheat flour I had left at the bottom of the bag and kneaded some more. I formed this into a round.
              I had oiled the Pan, and lined it with parchment paper. I put the dough into the pan, the pan into the crockpot -- large round, and went to sleep. I woked up maybe 2 hours later at 4:30 am, and found the bread was at 180 degrees. I thought that was good enough, took the pan out of the crock pot and went back to sleep. the bread was just like the pictures.
              When I really woke up and sliced the bread, I found the bread is a little soft and gummy. probably I should have baked it till 190 degrees or more, or left it in the crock pot with the heat off.
              Its higher and tasty than I would have expected and much easier since I didn't have to let it rise and punch it down. Next time I would like to try Cinnamon Swirl instead of just honey flavor. The honey taste is noticeable perhaps because it was a dark honey.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

It may just need to cool and set up.

I've thought about using a slow cooker for trying an 18 hour black bread recipe.

skeptic7
                Participant

I did another crockpot bread on Sunday night/Monday morning. This time it was baked in a regular loaf pan in a large oval crockpot.
                  I had adapted a chocolate yeast bread recipe. By the time I had finished various changes to the recipe and techniques it was more of a soft batter like a batter bread. It came to 2/3 of the pan. I baked it for a short time on high and a longer time on low, I wanted to see if it would overbake if cooked too long but I thought that this was a good risk as the dough started out so moist, and it was in a very heavy aluminum pan that would take a while to heat up.
                  The dough raised a little above the rim of the pan and was just a little heavy. Its making a very rich snack, I find myself only eating a couple of slices at a time instead devouring the whole thing.

Mike, I think this would be a good technique for 18 hour baking. It wouldn't take up your whole oven and can be left unattended without too much worries.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

Using the slow cooker to make a Russian black bread recipe is on my list of things to try 'soon', right now I'm just waiting for my wife's stomach to settle down again.

We do have two ovens in our 48" dual fuel DCS range, but the slow cooker still sounds like the way to go for this.

skeptic7
                    Participant

I did a Pumpkin cheese bread in the gold cake pan and the round crock pot. I was going to use a normal bread pan, but the bread dough used 4 cups of flour, and then I kneaded in 1 cup of cheddar cheese and the resulting dough nearly filled the loaf pan. I moved it to the round pan which fit it more comfortably. I baked it on low for about 4-4 1/2 hours. This worked great. The bread was cooked to 190 degrees, it didn't seem burnt or dry! I got some sleep instead of staying up to watch it. After it was cool, the cheese had melted some but still had visible streaks and filled holes, the texture was great -- the bread dough had obviously risen before baking. The bottom wasn't over cooked and it tasted great. It was moist but not gummy. I had worried that the cinnamon would have prevented the yeast from rising.
                      The original recipe is the KAF Whole Grain pumpkin bread -- I added 1/2 cup more water and omitted the sugar. Most notably I kneaded in at the last, 1 cup of sharp Vermont cheddar cut into 1/3 inch chunks.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.