Cookie ideas, please

Home Forums Baking — Desserts Cookie ideas, please

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Italiancook
    Participant

I can't eat chocolate, because I have recurrent kidney stones. It's hard to find cookie recipes that are dunkable that do not have chocolate. I have a repertoire of 2 -- Oatmeal Raisin and Peanut Butter cookies. I don't like to bake shortbread cookies, because they're not good for dunking in milk.

Do you have any suggestions on cookies that don't have chocolate and are good dunkers? Cookie bars are welcome, too.

I'm assuming if I have a name, I can find the recipe on this site or by Googling.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by Italiancook.
      aaronatthedoublef
      Participant

Molasses cookies. They are a family favorite in our house. If you cannot find a recipe you like you can have my mom's.

Snickerdoodles... I've never made them much but they are popular in New England.

Sugar cookies...

I dunk shortbread cookies. Okay, I end up with a little bit of cookie at the bottom of my cup but it's good.

aaronatthedoublef
        Participant

One more thing... Here is the recipe for reverse faux-reos and regular faux-reos.

You could take the cream from the faux-reos and combine it with the cookie for the reverse faux-reos to get a completely chocolate free cookie.

Italiancook
          Participant

Thanks, Aaron. I don't like molasses, so I'll pass on that recipe. I've heard of snickerdoodles but didn't think of them. My sister in another state makes them. I'll ask her to e-mail her recipe. Don't know why I haven't thought of sugar cookies. I make them twice a year for other people, and I love them. Shortbread cookies are dunkable! I guess I'll have to find a recipe for them and go from there. Thanks!

Italiancook
            Participant

Aaron, thanks for the faux-reos idea. I've never before made a sandwich cookie, but how hard can that be!

aaronatthedoublef
              Participant

Well, first, I hope things get better with your kidney stones. The only pain I ever saw my mom complain about was kidney stones (including a couple of heart attacks).

Sandwich cookies are twice the work... You have to make two cookies for each cookie and then glue them together. But they are fun.

Speaking of sandwich cookies, macarons! are good. They fall apart a bit and have a short shelf life but they are great with coffee.

There are a bunch of non-chocolate recipes on KAF.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I have made my mother's oatmeal crisp cookies without the chocolate chips, they're still very dunkable. And you can substitute raisins for the chocolate chips.

My mother often made them with nuts, usually hickory nuts, but those are so hard to find these days. (I actually have two small bags of them, but I haven't put them in cookies yet.)

For molasses cookies, Big Lake Judy's recipe is still the best I've found, and it's available here. And if you don't like molasses, substitute Lyle's Golden Syrup, you'll get a cookie unlike any you've ever had before! Lyle's is my secret ingredient for when I want something that will have a unique taste.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

What about Biscotti? KAF has a variety of recipes. I like the Barista Biscotti Bites (leave off the chocolate coating), the Maple-Walnut Biscotti, and the Butter Pecan Biscotti to which Cwcdesign introduced us last Christmas.

Also, I recommend the Greek cookies, Kouluria. The recipe is here in the thread from the Baking Circle that I posted, titled Kouluria.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by BakerAunt.
                    • This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by BakerAunt. Reason: corrected information
                    RiversideLen
                    Participant

Do you like coconut? Oatmeal coconut cookies are good.

Oatmeal Coconut Cookies

Although the recipe calls for lard I just used shortening.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by RiversideLen.
                      Italiancook
                      Participant

I'll look for the Koulouria recipe, BakerAunt. I hadn't thought of Biscotti. Thanks, RiversideLen, for the Oatmeal Coconut cookie recipe.

cwcdesign
                        Participant

If Baker Aunt hadn't mentioned it, I was going to say biscotti. Their intended purpose is dunking ?? I also like cranberry pistachio and I think Mrs Cindy's lemon almond biscotti are posted here. If not, I'll try to get it posted.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

RiversideLen I just baked those Oatmeal coconut cookies OMG they are so good and so easy mmm good.Thanks.

RiversideLen
                            Participant

You're welcome Joan, I'm glad you like them. I only made them a couple of times but they are always in the back of my mind, lol. But then I don't make cookies often. I need to make them again soon.

aaronatthedoublef
                              Participant

I haven't made the cookies Riverside Len pointed to but I make oatmeal chocolate chip coconut cookies for my wife. If you press some (or all) of the coconut into the top of the cookie instead of mixing it in then it gets toasted and there is a little bit of caramelized sugar taste. It's more work but my wife is worth it (and it's not that much more).

cwcdesign
                                Participant

Yesterday, I made a recipe for Gooey Caramel Stuffed Brownies and I followed the recipe exactly. The balance of caramel to chocolate was great. My caramel layer didn't look as thick as the photo, but it was the brownie mix that disappointed. The flavor was good, but they were dry and sort of dense. Next time I will make my favorite KAF brownies and add the caramel layer to those.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by cwcdesign.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.