Cinnamon-Apple Barley Quick Bread

Home Forums Recipes Cinnamon-Apple Barley Quick Bread

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I was looking for an apple quick bread that is low in saturated fat, and I saw a gluten-free one in an email from Bob's Red Mill. I set to work and substituted AP and barley flour, buttermilk, reduced the sugar slightly and replaced apple cider vinegar with boiled cider. I've now baked it four times, and this is the final version. The recipe is excellent with either Jonathans or Winesaps, and I do not peel them.

Cinnamon-Apple Barley Bread

1 1/4 cup unbleached flour
      3/4 cup barley flour (I use Bob's Red Mill)
      2/3 cup sugar
      1 tsp. baking powder
      1 tsp. baking soda
      1/4 tsp. salt

1 egg
      1 cup buttermilk
      2 tsp. boiled cider

2 cups, cored and diced apples (Winesap or Jonathan), unpeeled

Filling ingredients: 1/2 cup sugar AND 2 tsp. cinnamon

Course sugar to sprinkle on top.

Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan. (I use THE Grease--see threads saved from Baking Circle for directions)
      Preheat oven to 350F.

In large bowl, stir together first six ingredients.

In very small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon for filling.

In small bowl, whisk egg. Add buttermilk and whisk. Add boiled cider and whisk.

At this point, I dice the apples.

Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients. I stir with a dough whisk until combined, then use a spatula to make sure.

Spread some batter in bottom of pan to cover. Sprinkle half of the diced apple on top. Sprinkle with half the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Cover with more batter, then add the rest of the apples and cinnamon sugar. Cover with remaining batter. Sprinkle course sugar on top.

Bake at 350F for 50 minutes or until tester in center comes out clean. Allow loaf to cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes. Turn out onto rack and allow to cool completely.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by BakerAunt.
      • This topic was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by BakerAunt.
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.