Chocolate Chip Hazelnut-Cinnamon Biscotti

Home Forums Recipes Chocolate Chip Hazelnut-Cinnamon Biscotti

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I have adapted a recipe that first appeared in Bon Appetit (April 1998), p. 95. It used a food processor, but I used my hand mixer. I also worked out a substitution for the freshly grated orange peel, and I added the mini-chocolate chips. I use the KAF biscotti technique and allow the loaves to cool for 25 minutes, then spritz with water, before allowing them to rest 5 more minutes. Finally, on the second bake, I stand up the biscotti, rather than baking them on one side, then turning them.

Chocolate Chip Hazelnut-Cinnamon Biscotti

3 Cups unbleached flour (I used Gold Medal)
      1 Tbs. baking powder
      1/2 tsp. salt
      1/4 tsp. cinnamon

3/4 Cups sugar
      1/2 cup (4 oz. or 1 stick) unsalted butter

1 Tbs. grated orange peel (or 1/4 tsp. orange oil and 1 tsp. Penzey's dried orange peel)
      1 tsp. vanilla

3 eggs

4 oz. (about 1 cup) coarsely chopped hazelnuts
      3 oz. mini-chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350F. Line large baking sheet with parchment.

In medium bowl, stir together first four ingredients.

In large bowl, beat together butter and sugar until fluffy. Add vanilla and orange peel (or substitute) and mix well. One at a time, add eggs, mixing each until incorporated. Add flour mixture, and mix on low until incorporated. Add nuts and mini-chocolate chips. Mix in.

Weigh dough and divide in half. On lined baking sheet, form each into a 9-inch log, that is 2 inches wide. [Note: logs should be at least 3-inches apart on baking sheet.] Flatten each to 12-inches long, 2 1/4 inch wide log. Bake 25 minutes, until very light golden and firm to touch.

Cool on baking sheet on rack for 25 minutes. Spritz loaves with water, and allow to rest 5 minutes more. Place loaf on cutting board, and cut into 3/4-inch slices. I use an offset serrated knife, and cut straight down--no sawing.

Arrange slices upright on the lined baking sheet. Bake at 350F for 25 minutes. Transfer to rack to cool.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by BakerAunt. Reason: reduced mini-chocolate chip amount from 4 to 3 oz
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.