Chickpea flour

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls Chickpea flour

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    aaronatthedoublef
    Participant

Hi,

Has anyone used chickpea flour? What have you made with it? Any pointers to good recipes would be appreciated.

Thanks

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I've used it to make roux many times when cooking GF, but I've not baked with it much.

Some years ago, I tried making a small batch of Béchamel sauce with six or so flours, including wheat, to see how they worked and tasted and had my family taste them all. (Our GF daughter-in-law didn't taste the one made with wheat flour, of course.)

Chick pea/garbanzo bean flour was the non-wheat one we liked the taste of the most. Since then, I've made gravies, sauces and even souffles with garbanzo bean flour, and also with gar-fava bean flour, which is sometimes easier to find from Bobs Red Mill.

As a thickener, it isn't quite as strong as wheat flour. (I think McGee rates it a 3 on a 1-5 scale, wheat is a 4 and potato and tapioca are both 5's.)

aaronatthedoublef
        Participant

Thanks Mike. We're trying to figure out a way to trick a four year old into eating more than pasta and yogurt (occasionally together :-)).

Roux might work on pasta. I'll check out Bob's Red Mill for some recipes as well as KAF.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Aaron--Your comment about that four-year old reminds me of a story from a former colleague, who as a young child, decided only to eat white foods. Her mother bought a book, Bread and Jam for Frances, about a little girl who would only eat bread and jam. The lesson backfired, as my friend interpreted the story, which was meant to encourage children to eat more varieties of food, as so cool that the little girl only ate bread and jam. The book ended up reinforcing the behavior it was meant to change. I'm always amused that people producing some children's literature think that children will take exactly the intended message from these stories.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by BakerAunt. Reason: fixed sentence error
            Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Our 2nd son was a fussy eater until his late teens. Then he went to study in Germany for 7 months. When he came back, he'd eat just about anything we fixed.

I grew up in a family with 6 kids. We ate what was on the table, or went hungry.

aaronatthedoublef
              Participant

We are big fans of Bread and Jam for Frances. And I can also see it backfiring. There is also one about bedtime... Bedtime for Frances maybe but it is not as popular. That maybe because at the end her dad says go to bed or I will spank you and then put you in bed... or words to that effect.

I've started telling the older boys to make their own dinner if they do not want what I make but it's hard to do that with a 4 year old.

KAF has some interesting recipes including one for hummus bread. I'll let you all know what I try.

Thanks

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.